Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

vdB14-15 & Sh2-202 HaOiiiRGB with RASA

gorann

Here I have added about 9 hours HaOiii data (ASI2600MC with IDAS NBZ filter) collected yesterday to 6 hours of RGB data (no filter) collected 19 April 2021. This really lifted the background and the strikes of dark nebulosity on top of the Ha dust in Sh2-202. There was not much Oiii signal and the blue structures are reflection nebulosity most apparent in the RGB data.

This is what Gary Imm had to say on Astrobin about these objects when he imagined them a few years ago. He is exceptional in reading up on the objects that he images: "The large red emission nebula on the right is Sh2-202. It is believed to be ionized by the cluster at upper right, Stock 23. This cluster is somewhat in the shape of a miniature Hercules Keystone. This is a magnitude 5.6 cluster of about 40 stars located 1200 light years away. It is sometimes called Pazmino's cluster, after John Pazmino wrote about it in Sky and Telescope in the late 70's. This cluster was surprisingly not included in any of the major object catalogs. The two reflection nebula on the left side are vdB 14 (top, illuminated by star HD 21291) and vdB 15 (bottom, illuminated by star HD 21389). These nebulae are about twice as far away as the emission region, at a distance of 2600 light years. The two blue refection nebulae have a pinkish cast, presumably from emission in the vicinity, and they each span about 20 light years."

Cheers and CS, Göran

20230204 vdB15 RASA1+2 NBZ+oldRGB PS5smallSign.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 20.49.16.png

• Like 10

Another very impressive image Göran. 🤗 I like the framing, and contrast between the red and blue.

I think the Lynds catalogues need to be updated though, as they are rather arbitrary. LDN1382 points to a rather bright region and several other LDNs seem to point to nothing in particular. LBN681 points to a dark area by VdB14. Maybe it's meant to be the bright area to its left, while the bright area between VdB14 and 15 has no designation. 🤔

Alan

Great image and spectacularly deep. I did this in the Twin Tak rig and gathered an enormous amount of data on it, but this is signifcantly deeper. I saw no sign of that tenuous blue nebulosity in Stock 23 (a lovely cluster) and there's an impressive confidence in the two VdB objects.

Olly

6 hours ago, symmetal said:

Another very impressive image Göran. 🤗 I like the framing, and contrast between the red and blue.

I think the Lynds catalogues need to be updated though, as they are rather arbitrary. LDN1382 points to a rather bright region and several other LDNs seem to point to nothing in particular. LBN681 points to a dark area by VdB14. Maybe it's meant to be the bright area to its left, while the bright area between VdB14 and 15 has no designation. 🤔

Alan

Thanks a lot Alan! Yes, I often see that the objects from the old catalogues (LBN, LDN, Sh-2) are a bit misplaced. I assume it was not that easy at the time to determine the exact coordinates. Maybe someone will take on the task of updating the coordinates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Great image and spectacularly deep. I did this in the Twin Tak rig and gathered an enormous amount of data on it, but this is signifcantly deeper. I saw no sign of that tenuous blue nebulosity in Stock 23 (a lovely cluster) and there's an impressive confidence in the two VdB objects.

Olly

Thanks a lot Olly! Yes, that extra aperture of the RASAs appparently makes a lot of difference. The Ha signal in the image was collected with the NBZ under the current full moon, which makes the performance of the system even more impressive.

• Like 1