SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Confused about EAA

chubster1302

I think it comes down to how the images is displayed.  Astroinmaging you stack the images and process them after the fact to get the most detailed final product and might image a target for hours.

EAA you are generally stacking live with a bit of stretching applied to get detail out, but not heavy processing.  Time frames are generally shorter per target.

It's the difference between 'good and good enough' in a way

6 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

I think it comes down to how the images is displayed.  Astroinmaging you stack the images and process them after the fact to get the most detailed final product and might image a target for hours.

EAA you are generally stacking live with a bit of stretching applied to get detail out, but not heavy processing.  Time frames are generally shorter per target.

Not sure I completely understand your last paragraph. But I was under the impression that EEVA was actual observation in real time using a camera to stack an image to be observed there and then.

I personally don’t think it is a case of good enough EEVA and good AP. They are two ways of using modern technology to observe real time or produce a picture.

I am pretty sure that one day my eye sight will not be as good as now and the love of actuality observing could be extended with this method.

The EEVA section on here I find fascinating.

Marvin

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Ooh, OK, so a stacked live image....tech has come on indeed

Sorry, re reading what I wrote isn't massively clear.  It's just trying to get the point that with astro imaging you are more trying to use techniques and processing to get the best possible image, possibly even if that can take hours of work.  With EAA your are viewing live as the images are stacked in realtime so your options are limited in how much processing can be carried out.  The 'good enough' was a tad flippant, but really it's as good as possible within the confines of stacking live.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chubster1302 said:

Just browsing the EAA forum, as I'd never heard of it. What am I missing, isn't it the same as "normal"  imagining?

Nope - one is imaging, other is observing.

Although product can be the same - goal is different.

One sets of to image with the goal of producing an image. One sets off to do EEVA / EAA with a goal of observing a target. Sure, electronics is used to "sense" the target and to relay it to eye/brain either in form of night vision device or computer and camera with live stacking - but point is to be there and observe the target.

You direct the scope to a target, wait a bit (depending on gear that you are using) - and you look at the target.

Bonus is that with certain type of EEVA - you can easily record your observation - much like electronically assisted sketch. This is image and this is what people confuse with imaging as final result - but this electronic sketch is not the goal of EEVA - observation of the target is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Imaging vs Observing”… I think this is the key point. There have been many attempts to define EEA and what is “allowed”, how long exposures, how much manual adjustment etc. I feel that if you’re out to “observe stuff” and using the camera to help that, rather than being out to “collect data” to process later then it’s EEA. How long exposures you take, how much you stack and how much tweaking in the field is really up to you. Personally I am too impatient and waiting eg. 5mins to see something would drive me nuts…. But then maybe I’d then see stuff I’d not be able to otherwise… maybe I need to be more patient? Do whatever you get the enjoyment from whatever the label.

Peter

• Like 3