Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Elephants Trunk Nebula in SHO

Stuart1971

Not sure about this one, so wanted some constructive critique, I like the colours, just not sure about the brightness and the general contrast of the image….

it’s just 1 hour of Ha, OIII and SII through 7nm Optolong filters, so 3 hours of data gathering, through my Takahashi FSQ85 on my EQ8

9F861613-7D43-40E4-B6B5-C9DCCFD52210.jpeg

• Like 8

For only 3 hrs there is some nice detail in there.
At first I was a bit in two minds about the darker colours but actually now I quite like them compared to more usual brighter blue and the more usual yellower gold outer.

All in all a very nice image 🙂 

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

For only 3 hrs there is some nice detail in there.
At first I was a bit in two minds about the darker colours but actually now I quite like them compared to more usual brighter blue and the more usual yellower gold outer.

All in all a very nice image 🙂 

Steve

Is it 3 hours though, or just a 1 hour…. as it’s 1 hour of each filter, which is only the same as 1 hour of RGB….with OSC camera 🤔🤔

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart1971 said:

Is it 3 hours though, or just a 1 hour…. as it’s 1 hour of each filter, which is only the same as 1 hour of RGB….with OSC camera 🤔🤔

I never know what to count it as myself.

But my thinking is that if comparing to a OSC I think it is nearer to 3 hours because you are using the full complement of pixels for each filter for the exposure length,whereas on OSC only uses 1/4 of them of Red & Blue and half of them for Green, I believe that's the case in most colour matrixes.
However, does that mean that for an OSC  just has less pixels but bigger pixels when debayered ?

Confusing myself now, too much thought for a Sunday night 🤣

Best to go with your description of 3 hours data gathering.

Steve

• Like 1