Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What else do I need...?

Putting together a shopping list for my new setup in Spain. "Think" i've settled for the main components but im sure im missing some bits and pieces, what else do I need to make this all work. Will be used for imaging beginner DSO targets.

Skywatcher AZ-GTi WiFi GOTO Equatorial Mount Head Package - I have the tripod

William Optics Zenithstar 73 III
William Optics 32mm Slide Base Uniguide Guidescope
ZWO ASI120MM Mini guide camera
D7000

Going by quoted figures total weight of the above is just under 4KG which i know is pushing the weight limit of the mount, will I get away with it ?

Most basic way you can use the in built sidereal tracking of the azgti. Autoguiding with the GS and guidecam will be more accurate and allow for longer exposure. If you've got a laptop free you can use something like NINA to control it, otherwise a lot of us use asiairs. Alternatives are raspberry pis with Astroberry or Stellarmate, or a windows mini pc. You'll need an eqdir cable (usb to rj12) specifically for the azgti (FLO sell it):

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-az-gti-mounts.html

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elp said:

You can use the in built sidereal tracking of the azgti, autoguiding with the GS and guidecam will be more accurate. If you've got a laptop free you can use something like NINA to control it, otherwise a lot of us use asiairs. Alternatives are raspberry pis with Astroberry or Stellarmate, or a windows mini pc. You'll need an eqdir cable (usb to rj12) specifically for the azgti (FLO sell it):

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-az-gti-mounts.html

^^^ what he said 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

good point. I did see that there was no mention but assumed he would be using a laptop

Ah yes...phew, I was off searching for another expensive piece of equipment i hadnt heard of. Yes, I have a laptop and plan to control the guiding with PHD2

You will need the cable regardless, some people use an eqmod cable, but not having used it myself, so I use the eqdir with my asiair.

A 12V power pack, or mains cable for the azgti will help too. It doesn't work so well with AA batteries.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Elp said:

You will need the cable regardless, some people use an eqmod cable, but not having used it myself, so I use the eqdir with my asiair.

A 12V power pack, or mains cable for the azgti will help too. It doesn't work so well with AA batteries.

Perfect thanks Elp (and Bomberbaz) will I need any adapters, other cables etc? I can you see any glaring errors ? Is that me done "currently" with the expensive items 

Am i correct in saying that i do not need a flattener with the above setup ?

6 minutes ago, chubster1302 said:

Perfect thanks Elp (and Bomberbaz) will I need any adapters, other cables etc? I can you see any glaring errors ? Is that me done "currently" with the expensive items 

Am i correct in saying that i do not need a flattener with the above setup ?

have you considered the guidestar plus FF at less cost which is also less weight.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics/william-optics-guidestar-61.html

I use the SW evoguide and that was for weight and cost purposes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

have you considered the guidestar plus FF at less cost which is also less weight.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics/william-optics-guidestar-61.html

I use the SW evoguide and that was for weight and cost purposes.

i did....but ruled it out. If im understanding correctly the 73 will get me a tad "closer" and then even more so once i add a dedicated AP cam ? 

If you're going to use the dslr as is, an intervalometer will help (they're cheap) unless if the camera has one built in, a t ring to connect the camera to the back of the flattener (check the flattener spec for backfocus distance you need to set the camera for it to reach focus). If you're going to use the laptop to control image capture you'll need a usb cable from the camera to computer (you might already have one), this will enable you to use the software focus routine which will be more accurate than a manual method bahtinov mask.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elp said:

If you're going to use the dslr as is, an intervalometer will help (they're cheap) unless if the camera has one built in, a t ring to connect the camera to the back of the flattener (check the flattener spec for backfocus distance you need to set the camera for it to reach focus). If you're going to use the laptop to control image capture you'll need a usb cable from the camera to computer (you might already have one), this will enable you to use the software focus routine which will be more accurate than a manual method bahtinov mask.

I believe I can control the camera via a usb cable and Astro Photography tool (been reading astro backyard primer), if the D7000 cant be controlled I also have a D7100 which i believe definitely can.

Will need to do some research on the t ring, thanks 

9 hours ago, chubster1302 said:

i did....but ruled it out. If im understanding correctly the 73 will get me a tad "closer" and then even more so once i add a dedicated AP cam ? 

The difference between 360 and 430mm focal length is so minimal It'll hardly make a difference when compared. A camera makes no difference to the optical focal length, a smaller sensor may look like it's giving a zoomed in view but all its effectively doing is cropping the field of view (hence you're limiting the total imaging circle you could be using).

• Like 1