Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What are your 'under the radar' eyepieces?

Mr Spock

My Explore Scientific 26 mmf/62° LER. Bought this for the 130 P Flextube as widefield eyepiece; and it works very well with this f/5 scope and my 12" f/5. Very clear, neutral coloured views, very good sharpness on axis, deteriorating slowly starting  from 80-85 % of the eyefield radius, little distortions. What I love most, is the very relaxed viewing, with or without glasses. No kidney beaning, no searching for the best distance between eye and eyepiece. Less weight than the alternative standard ES 24 mmf/68° (235 vs. 340 g); and cheaper (125 vs. 185 € here in Germany). True Field of View with the 130 P 2.48° with the 26/62° and 2.51° with the 24/68°, so almost the same.

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene

11 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Your W-Pl 10x/23 are right up there among the best Stu. It was your WL reports that sparked my interest. 

That’s great to hear Mark 🙏

Mine were quite a fortunate purchase really, I only roughly knew what I was looking for at the time but got lucky.

• Like 1

A couple of other under the radar EPs I’ve enjoyed over the years:

Baader Hyperion 10mm - admittedly I didn’t use it in any superfast scopes, but it was an excellent all-rounder - sharp and bright.  
Meade 12.5mm (or was it 12.4mm?) 4000 plossl - my main planetary eyepiece for best part of a decade. 
Celestron 32mm Omni plossl.    
Even better - Celestron 30mm Ultimas - lovely binoviewing pair. 

• Like 1