Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

February 1, 2023: Comet C/2023 E3 (ZTF)

Just had another brief look under moonlight and a slightly hazy sky, using the Helios LightQuest 16x80mm bins. The comet is nearly overhead, and although it is not naked eye under these conditions, it is a great binocular target. The comet seemed a bit more elongated than the view yesterday, and a stubby, slightly fan-like dust tail seemed to appear. I seemed to spot some hints of the ion tail, but it was difficult to be sure.

I don't have time to do some imaging, as I have to get up early tomorrow, but I am happy to have had another peek at this visitor from the more distant parts of the solar system. Fingers crossed for more chances later. At least I managed to see the closest approach.

• Like 4

Had another quick look. The comet seems to have moved visibly in the half hour or so between observations. Still not sure about the ion tail. I also tried the Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 mm bins, but the Helios LightQuest 16x80 mm bins showed a much better image. Aperture is king, once more

• Like 1

You’re getting some nice views of the comet Michael. I still haven’t seen it yet, I’ll track it down with my 10x50s but will also try one of my scopes. What sort of magnification do you think would be best, say with my 102ED? 

6 hours ago, RobertI said:

You’re getting some nice views of the comet Michael. I still haven’t seen it yet, I’ll track it down with my 10x50s but will also try one of my scopes. What sort of magnification do you think would be best, say with my 102ED? 

Probably something like 20 to 25x to keep the field of view wide. Happy hunting!

• Thanks 1

Finally saw the comet tonight. Bright moon rising, but still easy to find and easily visible with my 102ED at 30x. Can’t say I could discern the fan shape, even when zooming in to darken the background. I showed my 8 year son, partly to dispel the myth going around his school that comets shoot across the sky! I have to say though, I remember being his age when Kahoutek’s Comet  came in 1973/4, and me and my brother would rush to window whenever we saw a flash in the sky or a plane overhead, hoping to catch the comet streaking across the sky! 😆

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 2

I caught it this evening right near the zenith, very hard to actually get the scope on it. Seen first at x30 (24mm Pan) the used the zoom (x41 to x82) to see if it helped.

I reckon the tail was more obvious at higher powers, though when I say obvious I mean I could just about detect it. The tail direction matched SkySafari so that indicates I’m seeing something I guess?

• Like 3

I managed to see it last night, but it was a challenge. I used my Skymax (Synscan) Az/ALT mount, but,  as the comet was close to the zenith, it was difficult to get the azimuth setting right to scan the area adjacent to Capella. My 2 dew magnets, 127mm & 90mm Maks, soon misted up, so I then went for my ST120 refractor. As I was using the OTA almost vertical, I had to avoid hitting a tripod leg with the diagonal. Capella was useful to get me close, and Stellarium gave me the direction. With the ST120's focal length of 600mm, and my 32mm Plossl, so just under 20x magnification, I found a "star" with fuzzy edges, and then used my 13mm Plossl to get a bit more detail, in an atmosphere illuminated by strong moonlight.

Observable comets are rare, so it was worth the effort, but not as exciting as I had hoped.

Geoff

Good view tonight in the Tak 100mm before the moon rose even though the sky was not fully dark. The green head very clear and the wispy fan-like tail just about there and helped by averted vision. As the moon rises later in the next few days I will continue to give it a go as it fades. 

• Like 2