Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which camera?

Astro74

16 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

I recently got a 533 based camera and quite often I end up cropping it to the same fov as the 585.  I like my 533, but I don't think I'd be missing a huge amount of i got a 585 instead.

Why do you end up cropping the 533, what scope are you using it with and what are you taking images of?

But in almost all cases I would see that as a downgrade. 

Adam

38 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

The astro camera market is very low volume and niche, hence the big names would not be interested in this market. And chip manufacturers like Sony are getting their sales anyway without actually manufacturing astro cams.

Agree, this wont change any time soon. As far as i know the 571 chip is being used in Fuji-XT something (on of the newer ones) and a Pentax something something, not sure about the model names tbh. Point is both of them are expensive premium models so they dont affect the sales of cooled 571 models at all.

19 hours ago, Astro74 said:

Hi I’m venturing into AP and would like to know if I’d be better with a dslr or an Astro cam like a Zwo 120 ? 

if it’s a dslr - which one would be best, I’d like something simple and easy to use Jo too high tech 

thanks 

I see that you will be using the 120 for guiding. 

Honestly these days I would recommend a ASI585mc as opposed to a DSLR with the nest step up being a cooled 533mc. 

I started out by astro modifying my own DSLR as I really did not have the budget for the CCD astronomy cameras of the time, i have even done a mono conversion and cooled it. But these days that balance has shifted so unless you have a sub £200 budget then a dedicated camera is the answer. 

Adam 

Edited by Adam J

23 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Why do you end up cropping the 533, what scope are you using it with and what are you taking images of?

But in almost all cases I would see that as a downgrade. 

Adam

Just more aesthetically pleasing images.  I mostly use 200 and 300mm lenses and for some targets at those focal lengths it just works better to crop it down.

Don't get me wrong though, I do use it full what often too.  It just depends on what I'm imaging.  I'm happy with the pictures either way.

1 minute ago, Ratlet said:

Just more aesthetically pleasing images.  I mostly use 200 and 300mm lenses and for some targets at those focal lengths it just works better to crop it down.

Don't get me wrong though, I do use it full what often too.  It just depends on what I'm imaging.  I'm happy with the pictures either way.

In that case I really dont think that you will gain anything by switching.