Narrowband

EOS 450d Astro modded worth it?

Joelsyp

I’ve currently got a canon 6d, unmodified that I use for both Astro and day to day stuff, so I won’t be getting it modded.

I’ve seen a 450d available at a good price and wondered if it’ll do the job for some wide field astro stuff well enough, or will I likely be disappointed by the results given I’m used to higher specs of the 6d (I realise even that is massively out of date by current standards).

i do like to print photos if they’re good enough for it, and I guess this is where I’m slightly concerned - or am I being silly. It’s a low shutter count at around 5k. 

I’m interested in shooting things like Barnard’s loop which I’ve just started to work out on the 6d - couple of hours data so nothing amazing but it was great to see a hint of the Ha coming through. Equally it would be great to speed that process up! 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

23 hours ago, Joelsyp said:

I’ve currently got a canon 6d, unmodified that I use for both Astro and day to day stuff, so I won’t be getting it modded.

I’ve seen a 450d available at a good price and wondered if it’ll do the job for some wide field astro stuff well enough, or will I likely be disappointed by the results given I’m used to higher specs of the 6d (I realise even that is massively out of date by current standards).

i do like to print photos if they’re good enough for it, and I guess this is where I’m slightly concerned - or am I being silly. It’s a low shutter count at around 5k. 

I’m interested in shooting things like Barnard’s loop which I’ve just started to work out on the 6d - couple of hours data so nothing amazing but it was great to see a hint of the Ha coming through. Equally it would be great to speed that process up! 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Cant possibly comment on that without knowing what they are asking for the 450D, but all in all the 6D is a better astronomy camera when modified than a 450D which is very old now. 

Adam

On 02/02/2023 at 18:02, Adam J said:

Cant possibly comment on that without knowing what they are asking for the 450D, but all in all the 6D is a better astronomy camera when modified than a 450D which is very old now. 

Adam

Sorry, perhaps I wasn’t clear, I wouldn’t consider modifying the 6d as I use it for everyday photography too so don’t want it modding. 

I’ve left the price of the 450d as that’s subjective value-it’s not expensive and compared to those I’ve seen listed by the likes of astronomiser etc it’s cheap.

12 hours ago, Joelsyp said:

Sorry, perhaps I wasn’t clear, I wouldn’t consider modifying the 6d as I use it for everyday photography too so don’t want it modding. 

I’ve left the price of the 450d as that’s subjective value-it’s not expensive and compared to those I’ve seen listed by the likes of astronomiser etc it’s cheap.

My point is that the 450D will be much worse than the 6D for everything except emission nebula. I started out with a 1000D, then a 450D and then a 550D. I modified them all myself and as a result was able to sell them at a profit once I had gotten a dedicated astro camera. 

Honestly, even for emission nebula I dont think that it will as bigger jump as you might hope for. . 

My 550D was in my view significantly better than the 450D. 

Adam

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Adam J said:

My point is that the 450D will be much worse than the 6D for everything except emission nebula. I started out with a 1000D, then a 450D and then a 550D. I modified them all myself and as a result was able to sell them at a profit once I had gotten a dedicated astro camera. 

Honestly, even for emission nebula I dont think that it will as bigger jump as you might hope for. . 

My 550D was in my view significantly better than the 450D. 

Adam

Thanks, that’s exactly what I was wondering. 

19 hours ago, carastro said:

I used a 450D for imaging some years ago, it was good enough for learning, but I am sure the newer models must produce far better.

Some images I got with it:

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

These are all great.  Thank you for sharing. Were they taken using a telescope or lenses?