Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Replacement mount

Sypha

Unfortunately I've had to return my SW star Adventure GTi and a replacement is going to take a while to come in. Rather than waiting for the replacement I could get a different mount, which made me look at the iOptron GEM28 or possibly the HEM27. Would the HEM27 be a better choice over the GEM28? Are there are any other lightweight mounts I should be looking? 

I've got excellent results with an azgti in EQ mode as have many others. I also have a gem28 but use the azgti more as it's more convenient to setup and breakdown.

The gem28 is however in another league in terms of build quality and performance, I mostly use it for my heavier setup. Balancing is very sensitive and takes time to do as it's so smooth in Dec and ra. Last session imaging a comet for one hour, the stars barely moved just using the in built sidereal tracking.

Another option over the hem27 would be the zwo am5, it might just be my next mount as it can then be packaged with my scope so one less thing to take out and bring back in.