SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Should I be able to take daylight photos with Atik 383 OSC

MG01

I've recently picked up an Atik 383 OSC and I wanted to get my focus and OAG aligned during the day.  But I can't seem to take anything but complete white frames, even at the shortest exposure.

I don't know if there's a setting somewhere I've not found but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

2 hours ago, MG01 said:

I've recently picked up an Atik 383 OSC and I wanted to get my focus and OAG aligned during the day.  But I can't seem to take anything but complete white frames, even at the shortest exposure.

I don't know if there's a setting somewhere I've not found but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

just so long as they are not white when you cover the scope.

I have the mono version of one of these.

The sensor on mine is waaaaay too sensitive to use during daytime. Even if you manage a short exposure, you'll get the shutter partially blocking the view. Even in quite dim twilight it'll still overexpose at the shortest exposure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elp said:

What is your shortest exposure? Have you set the gain low (if it has gain adjustment)?

The shortest exposure seems to be 0.2s and still completely blown out.

2 hours ago, lukebl said:

I have the mono version of one of these.

The sensor on mine is waaaaay too sensitive to use during daytime. Even if you manage a short exposure, you'll get the shutter partially blocking the view. Even in quite dim twilight it'll still overexpose at the shortest exposure.

I think you're right.  Very sensitive sensor, which I suppose is what I want really...just frustrating I can't sort out some of these little setup tasks during the day.  

Once I have it setup I'll whip out some tape to mark the focus points so that setup is a little quicker next time.

0.2 secs is way too much in broad daylight. You don’t need a clear night though to set up the focus. My first Astro camera was an Atik 314 OSC and I focused it on a distant tiled roof when the sun had gone down.

• Like 2

On 02/02/2023 at 01:07, MG01 said:

This makes me wonder if I'm going to need to dim my flat panel to get decent flats?  Didn't have a problem with my dslr, but that also shot daylight. 😀 

Yes because ideally you need quite long flats or the shutter movement effects them. 

Adam

• Like 2

On 01/02/2023 at 13:48, MG01 said:

If doubt it , as the shortest exposure will still be far too long to expose the moon properly 

• Like 2

You are simply meeting the virtues of the camera and seeing why it beats a DSLR.  As stated above, it will probably be too bright for the moon. I've never had a deep sky CCD camera which could image the moon and I've had quite a few.

AdamJ is right: you must dim your flats panel to give long enough subs to avoid seeing the wipe of the shutter. The good news is that typing paper is all you need.

Olly

• Like 1