Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

RA and DEC

Just a quick 1 really. After I have aligned my scope. When I find a target and lock both RA and DEC axis. Am I right in thinking that I should only be adjusting the 1 axis (RA) to keep the target in view? As I am finding I have to adjust both, sort of simultaneously.  Or does that mean I've not aligned it correctly?

Just wasn't sure if I'd heard that only 1 axis needed adjusting to keep your target in view.

Thanks

Rich

You should only need to adjust RA.

Make sure you are switched to N on your control box

Accurately balance the scope in both directions.

Use a compass to point the mount North

Things to do to get DEC accurate…

Ensure your latitude is set correctly on your mount

Ensure your mount is level

Ideally you should “Polar Align”

If your mount is goto check you have inputted latitude, longitude, date and time in the correct format.

Edited by dweller25
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

You should only need to adjust RA.

Make sure you are switched to N on your control box

Use a compass to point the mount North

Things to do to get DEC accurate…

Ensure your latitude is set correctly on your mount

Ensure your mount is level

Ideally you should “Polar Align”

If your mount is goto check you have inputted latitude, longitude, date and time in the correct format.

Thanks, I will double check all of these. I purchased a compass the other day as I wasn't sure the app compass was that accurate. I've got a little boat level on my tripod accessory tray as well, so will double check that too. I mustn't be doing something right, so will go over everything twice. Thanks for clarifying Dweller.

• Like 1

Magnetic and true (or celestial) north do not necessarily align, it varies depending where you are. I am about 10 degrees east here, so have to adjust

By that I mean that my compass north is ten degrees away from Polaris

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 900SL said:

Magnetic and true (or celestial) north do not necessarily align, it varies depending where you are. I am about 10 degrees east here, so have to adjust

By that I mean that my compass north is ten degrees away from Polaris

No idea how many degrees I am off true north. Will probably Google when these clouds clear that seem to have not moved for the last 4 days!

On 31/01/2023 at 20:03, fullmoon said:

I purchased a compass the other day as I wasn't sure the app compass was that accurate.

Its tricky to get compass to point correctly when the tripod is nearby as the metal content can confuse the compass. 😞 So what I used to do (before I bought my HEQ5) was to place the phone on the ground and get the top of the phone pointing North by using the app. Then I placed a wooden slat at the base of the phone so its going W to E. Now if you place the 2 legs of the tripod along the slat then the 3rd leg (with N marked on it) should be pointing North !

PS: The HEQ5 comes with a polarscope so compass not necessary

Edited by AstroMuni