Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW star adventurer GTI mount

Hi,

has anyone used the above eq mount for any visual use, just wondering if it’s practical for both visual and occasional imaging as it’s a full eq set up unlike the azi gti which can be converted ti eq with a wedge. I’m thinking this mount maybe offers me more being eq from the get go but I’d be interested in anyone’s experience of it for visual and imaging use before I take the plunge.

I don't think it makes much difference if you're using it visually or imaging, you still have to make sure your alignment is fairly good if you want it to goto well. The alignment doesn't have to be as stringent when visually observing.

• Thanks 1

I would have thought so. I use the azgti for visual normally in alt az mode (mainly due to making adjustments makes more sense in up down left right). Once it's done a goto, you centre the target via the controls on the app, helps if you have a few eyepieces at hand, and just defocus the star until it's bloated so you can better judge the centering. Repeat for second and/or third star.

For imaging I use it in EQ mode but fully autoguided via an Asiair. The only issue with the azgti in EQ mode, if you're not using a computer controller you'd have to find a novel way to polar align it, there's a bracket you can get to hold a polar scope.

With any mount where you're not using a computer you'll have to get used to polar aligning visually, and likely squat or sit on the floor and crane your neck upward to do it. Helps if the tripod is longer but that's at the cost of stability. I'd imagine the SAGTI is like a mini eq3-2 and above with goto, that's not a bad thing.

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this it’s helpful 👍🏼 I think the star adventurer would be a better option for me as it’s sounds like the azi gti isn’t quite upto the EQ side of things although it’s superb at what it does best for visual use. The key advantages of the star adventurer is it can be used for both 👍🏼

44 minutes ago, Elp said:

If you're interested look at the azgti owners thread (it's quite a number of pages), a lot of us use it in EQ mode.

I think the only challenge is getting a good wedge for the AZ-GTi. I'm using the Skywatcher wedge which can be a bit fiddly to get  the altitude locked in - I wish I had spent the extra for the WO wedge which by all accounts is much nicer to use.

12 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

I think the only challenge is getting a good wedge for the AZ-GTi. I'm using the Skywatcher wedge which can be a bit fiddly to get  the altitude locked in - I wish I had spent the extra for the WO wedge which by all accounts is much nicer to use.

This is why I think for me the star adventurer is the better bet - it can be used to image and for visual use with out the wedge installation as it’s already set up to go , perfect if you want to do both - so long as you don’t mind polar alignment of course 

15 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

WO wedge

Definitely the best. I've used 4 different brands and none really come close as the WO is smooth to adjust and doesn't have any slop. I also use an ioptron one which I would rate second though it's altitude does have some slop.