SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Giro Ercole Mini azimuth-axis bearing radial play?

alex_stars

Hi all,

I just bought a Giro Ercole Mini mount used and was wondering how much radial play (hope that's the correct term) the azimuth axis should have, given the azimuth axis break screw is fully open. Maybe to explain further.

If I open the altitude axis break and try to tilt the axis with my hands, I feel no play whatsoever. I observe the same when the mount is fully loaded with my approx. 5 kg scope.

However when I fully open the azimuth axis break and "wiggle" the azimuth axis, I feel that I can tilt that axis a bit. It is also visually observable on the whole mount, not much, but the azimuth axis is not "play" free.

I can almost get rid of that radial play when I tighten the azimuth break just a bit. Then the azimuth axis still moves quite freely but the radial play is almost gone.

In practice, when I observe, I have no issues with the mount. When loaded I can move the azimuth axis nicely and very smoothly even with the azimuth break fully open.

But I was wondering if the observed radial play on the azimuth axis is normal, or if the pervious owner has overloaded the mount and thereby damaged the plastic bearing bushing on the azimuth axis.

Any comments from Ercole Mini owners would be very much appreciated.

Clear Skies,

Alex

Hi All,

just a follow up for other owners of the Giro Ercole Mini, and probably the Ercole model as well. I got in contact with the manufacturer of the mount at "Teleskop-tecnica" or "Tele Optik Tecnica". Anyhow Giovanni told me the following, which is of interest to everybody owning such a mount.

• A slight radial play is normal and as long as it disappears with tightening the friction brake a little, the mount is fully functional and not damaged in any way!
  • The Ercole mini is greased at the factory even though the bearing bushings (collar bearings) from IGUS do not require that. This is done to make the movement even more smooth.
  • There are two bearing bushings in the azimuth axis and a bearing plate between the moving parts of the base (ie the head itself and the bottom where the mount is mounted).
  • Over time the grease leaves the bearings and some radial play becomes noticeable, but the function is not diminished.
  • User tip no 1: Don't try to grease the bearings, it is not necessary!
  • User tip no 2: Always keep the azimuth axis break slightly engaged (tightened) when transporting or mounting the mount to avoid that the bearing plate opens a little.
  • User tip no 3: Use counterweights to balance the azimuth axis, this makes the azimuth movement smooth (I guess we know that 😉) and lets any axis "play" disappear.

Double thumbs up for customer support at Teleskop Tecnica 👍👍  

and I'm gonna enjoy my mount!

Clear Skies,

Alex