Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

need help with connecting cameras

Hi all I could do with some advice on the easy way to connect my guide scope with ASI 120mm mini and Skywatcher Explorer 190MN with ASI 533mc pro, all mounted on a EQ6R-Pro and which software to use and how to connect all this together

Edited by DDH
missed mount

If you want ease of use, the general advice would be the Asiair. Simple out the box.

I use a mini PC running windows on the scope. Equally, you could just use a laptop. There are plenty of other options too.

Ultimately, it is personal choice - particularly if you don't want to be tied to Zwo products.

Have a search on the forums, there is quite a bit on similar subjects.

As you've already got the zwos, I'd also suggest the asiair, it's the easiest controller I've used.

If you don't want to spend the extra and have a laptop available, most if not all the astro control software like Nina is free.

If your guidescope has a standard 1.25 inch rear end, you just need the nosepiece supplied with the 120 and put it into the guidescope. The usbs from the cameras plug into the computer/asiair. Your mount should have a usb connection so that also plugs into the computer/asiair. If using a computer you likely will need a usb hub, plug all equipment into that and then that into the computer. If using the asiair, everything plugs into the unit, and you don't need a computer, you control the asiair via the mobile phone app/use a tablet with the app over WiFi directly to the asiair. The asiair also has 12v outs (not on the gen1, gen2 (pro) and later all have 12v outs) so your camera cooling attaches to that too.

The asiair has all the software you need built in and is straightforward to learn to use.

thanks for the replies,  My guide scope is an Artesky ultra guide Mk2 60mm which the ASI 120 fits in, I hope to be able to control all with a windows 10 laptop and I have a usb 3 powered 4 port hub.  So far I have not been able to see any images on either camera. Which of the softwares is the easier to setup, I did try PHD2 but got lost with which mount to use.  Before spending more cash on ASI air I would like to see if what I already have works.

Edited by DDH
addendum

2 hours ago, DDH said:

thanks for the replies,  My guide scope is an Artesky ultra guide Mk2 60mm which the ASI 120 fits in, I hope to be able to control all with a windows 10 laptop and I have a usb 3 powered 4 port hub.  So far I have not been able to see any images on either camera. Which of the softwares is the easier to setup, I did try PHD2 but got lost with which mount to use.  Before spending more cash on ASI air I would like to see if what I already have works.

It will work fine, no need for a air

Have you installed the ascom drivers for all cameras, devices, are you using eqmod for the mount?

"So far I have not been able to see any images on either camera. "

Try connecting the guidecam directly to the PC , not using the powered hub, or the hub in the 533MC Pro.

With SharpCap software on the guidecam during the day.

Auto-expose, and focus on a distant landmark.

Then night-time connect the guidecam to PHD2  and adjust focus on the moon.

As the moon is bright try with a fast exposure, say 0.5 seconds or less.

Finally fine-focus on stars , exposure 2 seconds.

As newbie said, go to the ZWO website, download and install the latest drivers.

Michael

Thanks Michael, your info is very useful.  I have tried what you said and connected the 120 direct to the laptop in the daytime and then the 533 and then both and through the hub and all is working fine.  Problem now is we have constant cloud cover so can't try at night yet, but as soon as the sky clears will try through the scopes.  What software do you recommend using on the laptop as you mentioned sharpcap and phd2

On 30/01/2023 at 04:42, DDH said:

As you are Windows user, I would recommend using NINA or CCD Ciel. For the planetarium software I would suggest Stellarium or Cartes du Ciel. All these software are free. Get the mount, ASI533 combination working first before adding guidescope etc. Once you have got the hang of driving the mount, image capture & platesolving all working well then you can add the guidescope and PHD2 for guiding.

PS: You could use ASTAP or Astrometry.net for platesolving. And you will need a FTDI cable to control your mount from PC. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

Edited by AstroMuni