SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My New Book - Just released!

steppenwolf

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a shame you are not going to SGL4 Steve. You could have sold a few there I bet. I will buy one, but later. I've just got

R. Scott Irelands Photoshop Astronomy, but I think yours will fit my level better.

Ron.:)

My "only" slight caveat is the name...

Very similar to another book on imaging...

My heart sank when I read this because I believed that I had done my 'research' carefully and my book's title was based on a lecture that I wrote in 2007 and delivered in early 2008. However, Nick kindly directly me to the item in question which turns out to be a well respected 3 DVD instructional video collection called 'Making Every Pixel Count'.

The title for my book (and lecture!) was supposed to be play on words. Every photon should count in the final image as to waste any would be a shame and of course, the photons are 'counted' by the photosites on the sensor to make up the final 'level' for that photosite.

I am happy, therefore, that there is no conflict here and didn't want to leave Nick's comment unanswered.

I am grateful to Nick for pointing this out me as you just never know for sure what is out there and Google doesn't always deliver all the answers for me!

Missed this thread,Congrats Steve,with the boom in astrophotography i'm sure it'll sell well,having marvelled at your images the last couple of years its guaranteed to help us beginners.

I read a few more pages whilst cooking last night Steve... Looking good - the emphasis on a repeatable process is spot-on :)

I must have a prototype copy, cos I haven't found any blank pages yet :)

Oh, and of course I would like to request a signing (with kisses!) next time we meet...

Cheers,

Richie

I read a few more pages whilst cooking last night Steve...

Actually, many of the pages would make excellent kitchen towels.

I would like to request a signing (with kisses!) next time we meet...

I know you are a good mate and all but I draw the line at kisses ......

Aw damn! :)

Seriously though Steve - the book is a cracker, you have achieved your aim. Once I've finished it, I'll put up a review if no-one beats me to it.

One interesting thing is that knowing the author, I can hear your voice in my head reading it as I read it :)

Richie

Seriously though Steve - the book is a cracker, you have achieved your aim. Once I've finished it, I'll put up a review if no-one beats me to it.

Thank you very much, I am really pleased about that and I'd love a review - excellent!

One interesting thing is that knowing the author, I can hear your voice in my head reading it as I read it :)

:):eek::(:eek::):icon_eek:

Over on Astrochat Andy (Big Dipper) has written an excellent reveiw of Steve's book.

The review is copied below (with permission from Andy), to visit the review itself, please click on this link ASTRO-CHAT - Astronomy Forum :: View topic - Great new astro imaging book by Steve (Chanctonbury) Review

Cheers

Ant

astro_book_cover_600.jpg

Author: Steve Richards

Foreword by Sir Patrick Moore

194 Pages, Over 130 Full Colour Figures, 22 Chapters, On-line reader resources

£19.95 plus p&p (£1.50 UK - for other destinations, please check with the author). For any queries and all orders please contact the author here.

Opening comment

This brand new book only came to my attention through a ‘by the way comment’ on another thread in this forum. Although primarily aimed at the beginner to astrophotography, I have to say that I believe it to be equally useful to people like myself who, although have been enjoying astro imaging for years, let themselves down badly at the processing stage through sheer and utter ignorance of how to effectively use the many powerful software programmes on the market nowadays.

What follows is a brief overview of what you can expect from this publication and its associated webpages (more about that later) and my humble opinion and impressions on the content, writing style and overall presentation of the book (please bear in mind that I haven’t done a book review since doing A level English back in 1981)!

About the author

Many of you will be familiar with the author, Steve Richards, from various astronomy forums (e.g. ‘Chanctonbury’ on Astro Chat, ‘skywatcher’ on Sky at Night, ‘steppenwolf’ on Stargazers Lounge), in particular with the quality images that he presents us with, and his plentiful posts offering encouragement and advice to others at various stages on that steep learning curve of astro imaging!

Overview of the contents

After a general introduction by the author and discussion of common equipment requirements (this includes everything from the all-important mount considerations through CCD’s and DSLR’s to accessories including power requirements, adapters, guiding software etc. etc), the book then tackles the main issues that all astro imagers encounter when setting up. This includes collimation, calibrating your polar scope, polar alignment, balancing issues, dew control – basically, you name it, it’s there!

After this, for ease of reference (especially for the newcomer) the author breaks down the various stages for successful imaging to what he calls the ‘six F’s’. In short, these are as follows:

1). Find your Object

Here the author discusses GOTO mounts as well as the more ‘traditional’ method of star hopping (which I have personally only ‘discovered’ & enjoyed using since getting my AstroTrac).

2). Focus your Object

This all-important issue is covered in some considerable depth. Here methods for focusing ranging from eye-ball focusing with a camera viewfinder, through special masks such as a Hartmann mask or a Bahtinov mask, to using software such as DSLRFocus, are discussed in detail.

3). Frame your Object

This discusses the likes of using the well-known ‘freebie’ software Cartes du Ciel to determine your field of view with various types of equipment. However what really impressed me about this section was the fact that there is an accompanying Excel spreadsheet with a Field of View Calculator on the author’s website which has been set up specifically to compliment the subject matter in this book. Having an associated website which, of course, the author can update regularly is something that I have not come across before in previous astro imaging guides (and believe you me, I own many!) and IMO this ‘feature’ greatly enhances the overall usefulness of the book.

4). Follow your Object

As you would expect, this section explains terms like ‘periodic error’ and ‘flexure’ and discusses the various options open to imagers from manual guiding (definitely NOT for the faint hearted IMO) through to using software to do the job such as PHD. There is also very useful information here on suitable guide scope arrangements as well as a section on modifying your controller handset.

5). Film your Object

As the author explains at the outset of the book, the use of the word ‘film’ is slightly misleading in view of the fact that the book concentrates on digital equipment. Like Steve, I tried to think of an alternative word beginning with ‘F’ which meant to ‘record’ or ‘capture’ data but had to end up admitting defeat.

Here the author discusses the various formats available for taking images such as RAW, JPEG and FITS (for CCD’s). Very usefully we are given clear explanations of various terms that are banded about astro forums, such as Dark, Bias and FLAT frames, together with an explanation of the purpose and importance of each kind of frame. You will also find useful information in this section relating to exposure times/limitations and the benefits of stacking images.

6). Finish your Object

This, for me, was the deciding factor in purchasing this book! As I said at the outset of the review, although I am fairly ‘au fait’ with the basics of taking astro images, I let myself down very badly nowadays due to my ignorance of the multitude of image processing software out there – and most importantly, how to use it.

Gone are the days when I would send my film off to Truprint and get a free film back with every order! Yes, digital processing is a bit more involved than popping your film into a TruPrint envelope, but I think that most would agree that the results are somewhat more satisfying!

Anyway, back to the review, for me the section on processing paid for itself several times over – and let’s be honest, the author has certainly produced results over the past 4-5 years to prove that his techniques work!

All commonly used software is covered in this book such as using PhotoShop, MaximDL, The GIMP, Deep Sky Stacker – basically, you name it………………

There are step by step instructions (complete with screen images of the software being discussed) on dealing with the various stages of image processing (most of which, I admit, I was totally clueless about). These include:

- alignment and stacking

- initial and second histogram stretch

- light pollution removal

- gradient removal

- colour balance and saturation considerations

- hot pixel and blemish (e.g. dust bunnies) removal

- de-Bayering

……..as well as many other general digital processing techniques.

The wealth of information in this section of the book is superb and the clarity of writing/illustrations/website supplementary information and examples to work on (in terms of processing) are IMO, second to none. I personally consider myself to be near to the beginning of the learning curve when it comes to astro image processing and I know that it will take time to master many of the techniques discussed – however I feel a good deal more confident on the matter of processing than I did before reading this book and will greatly look forward to putting some of the sound advice given into practice at future imaging sessions.

After having read about the ‘six F’s’ for successful astro imaging, you might be fooled into thinking that you have come to the end of the book.

Far from it! The author then includes some very useful information about drift alignment, collimation, correcting optical aberrations, having a permanent observatory and a great section on suggestions for targets to image, depending on the time of the year. There are some beautiful illustrations by the author to show what can be achieved with amateur equipment when following the advice given in this guide which the reader will find very inspiring in terms of going out and capturing images of their own. The final sections of the book include a very useful and extended list of internet links covering all aspects of astro imaging and also a glossary to help understand commonly used terms in astronomy.

So is this Guide worth the Investment?

In a word – ‘easily!’ So much so that I’ve decided to put up a free copy as a prize in our quarterly imaging competition!

I think that the author sells himself short by saying that the book is aimed ‘primarily’ at newcomers to our hobby. Certainly I think it covers every aspect of our ‘nutty’ hobby that the newcomer would need to know about – however there is a wealth of information in the guide for more ‘seasoned’ imagers too (in particular – in my case – in terms of how to process your images). I very much liked the author’s style of writing throughout the book which I found to be very clear and easy to follow – and the fact that Steve Richards is just a humble fellow member of various astronomy forums as opposed to an internationally renown author made me feel that the book communicated with me ‘at my own level’, so to speak! The content of this book is superb, covering every aspect of astro imaging that I can think of. Clearly the author has done a lot of researh for this publication! Furthermore the book is beautifully illustrated throughout with very high quality images – whether they be astro images by the author, screen shots of various software procedures being discussed or general illustrative diagrams. The icing on the cake has to be the webpages that the author has set up to supplement the publication. I understand that these will be updated as and when required and hence should remain pretty much up to date for a long time to come. Features on the complimentary webpages include an Excel Astrophotography Spreadsheet, sample images which can be experimented on using the guide’s section on processing and plenty of useful links for the astro imager (I wasn’t aware, for instance, that AstroZap did a version of a focus mask which looks like a cross between a Hartmann and a Bahtinov mask)!

A couple of points to note........

As the description of the book states, it is focused towards taking images of the deep sky with the likes of CCD and DSLR cameras. Using the likes of webcams for lunar and planetary imaging are not really within the scope of this publication. Also if you intend using manual setting circles to help to locate deep sky targets, I would recommend that you read up on how the Declination and Right Ascension co-ordinates system works from one of the many online sources on the web or ‘How To-type’ astronomy books on the market.

This book has certainly been a joy to read and as Sir Patrick Moore signs off in his complimentary Foreword to it – “May the photons be with you!”

Note: I am not affiliated with the author or anyone else associated with this publication other than as a very satisfied customer!

Superb review and totaly agree with whats been said in it the book is simply superb.... I feel at some point I might buy another copy to "loose leaf" it in a ring binder so i can have it open alongside me when I am working through the processing techniques...

Peter....

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hello steve...... sorry to dredge up a old thread, i love reading this book, always going back to it (have postits lined with bits i need to remember!!!!)

id like to second peters idea, would it be possible for a copy that is lose leaf in a ring binder thats "weatherd" to it can get wet in dew ect?

Archived