SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron binos for backyard observing

DSviewer

~

When Celestron was importing their Japanese Ultimas I obtained a 10x50, which is optically and mechanically excellent. If you're looking at a new purchase, a hassle-free return policy is essential before hitting the "buy" button.

Good luck.

If going for larger version 70 or 80mm binos then the weight goes from 1.7kg upwards, so unless you pump iron regularly  then you will need either a monopod, mount or dedicated binocular mount to view through them with well for any length of time. For binos less 60mm or less you can normally hold these up quite easily.

Years back I bought a cheap pair of Celestron 15x70s (BA-1s, cheap and cheerful ones sold under a variety of brand names). They turned out to be faulty, but the seller provided me with an Omegon-branded alternative, which was a lot of fun to use, until the bridge broke (just as a replacement pair of far better 15x70s arrived: Helios Apollo 15x70 HDs). These have since been replaced by Helios LightQuest 16x80s, which are actually a touch lighter than the older Helios Apollo 15x70s. The cheaper 15x70s are usually actually 15x64 or so, and quite light (some 1.5 kg). This light weight is not necessarily a good thing, as I found the Helios Apollo at 2.5 kg easier to hold steady, and likewise for the 2.35 kg LightQuest. I generally use them hand held, but I know many people have issues. My Benro monopod with pistol grip and ball head does improve the views, and isn't too cumbersome to use for quick sessions. I use a p-mount (home made) for outreach only, as it is more of a hassle to set up, but allows you to share the views much more easily.

IMAG1178.thumb.jpg.283bca6d219a1fb05c7df462938fc435.jpg

post-5655-0-55894000-1389190237_thumb.jpg

• Like 1