Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which eye piece? And a couple of random Q's...

Hi all, after some sound advice from a member here I think I'm going to purchase 1 or 2 BST starguider eyepieces. 

I have a skywatcher explorer 130/900 EQ2.

Firstly, hoping someone has some first hand experience as to what eyepieces worked well for them with the above scope if possible. But all advice welcome. 

I would prefer to use the scope without the Barlow if possible.

I had a short viewing session Wednesday night and I found I got better results looking at the moon with just the 10x eyepiece provided.

I've not really seen anything else, other than a blurry Jupiter as I'm still very much learning on the job.

What sort of targets should I be seeing comfortably with my scope? Are there any targets I can get a good view of, with the manufacturer supplied eyepieces?

A few other Q's.

The eyepieces I currently have, I've noticed the little rubber outer piece where you put your eye, moves into 2 positions. Is it meant to be flush with the eyepiece (folded back)? Or does it rise off the eyepiece? Might be a daft question, but when I pulled the cap off it, I noticed the rubber sprang forward like a guide to the eyepiece, and I thought oh, is that how I'm meant to look through it.......? 🤦‍♂️

Is it normal for this mount/telescope  to be so rocky? I'm struggling to focus in on things as the target is bouncing around the eyepiece like a 90's raver everytime I touch the focus wheel. Everything's nice and tight, again after some advice from another member. 

Thanks

Rich

Edited by fullmoon

1 hour ago, fullmoon said:

Is it normal for this mount/telescope  to be so rocky? I'm struggling to focus in on things as the target is bouncing around the eyepiece like a 90's raver everytime I touch the focus wheel. Everything's nice and tight. Again after some advice from another member. 

That's normal for an EQ-2.  A really rigid tripod mount costs serious money. Or there is the Dobsonian option.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

That's normal for an EQ-2.  A really rigid tripod mount costs serious money. Or there is the Dobsonian option.

Best not look at a 2nd scope 7 days after buying this 1 haha. 

Maybe later down the line, but the dobsonian right now for me, I don't think would be suitable. We're quite low down and surrounded by houses unfortunately. 

Seeing as how we can't talk you into getting a second telescope after 7 days, maybe I can help you spend your money in a different direction. 

Instead of eyepieces, how about the Baader Hyperion Zoom? You don't need the barlow, it covers a good range of eyepieces and once you've found your target rather than changing eyepieces you simply zoom in to suit. It has the added advantage in that as you upgrade, you take it along the journey with you. I've found that I now tend to use a low power eyepiece and the zoom and I am more than happy. That should get the discussion going :D

The big question though is have I helped or hindered in you spending your money 😉

• Thanks 1

Hi Rich,

You might try tightening all the screws and bolts in your tripod as often they can be a little loose from the factory. The tripod is often a weak point so by ensuring everything is secured properly, including any accessory tray, you'll give the mount better stability. There may still be some tremor in a 900 mm scope on an eq2 though.  I like the idea of a zoom eyepiece mentioned by M40, and I believe that Skywatcher sell a nice zoom which was reviewed by John Huntley some time back, and its quite a bit cheaper than the Baader zoom. You could look on UK astro buy & Sell, or here on the SGL for sale section for second-hand eyepieces which generally work out a third cheaper than the new price. 

• Thanks 1

The StarGuider 8mm and 12mm are the best of the range and would be a good option for your scope - giving x112 and x75 magnification

But likewise, the 8-24mm zooms are a good option.

For a widefield view - try a 32mm plossl type.  This is a good budget one:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astro-essentials-eyepieces/astro-essentials-super-plossl-eyepiece.html

or for a little more, the 30mm in this range:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-npl-eyepieces.html

Eyepieces will transfer to other scopes when/if you upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fullmoon said:

The eyepieces I currently have, I've noticed the little rubber outer piece where you put your eye, moves into 2 positions. Is it meant to be flush with the eyepiece (folded back)? Or does it rise off the eyepiece? Might be a daft question, but when I pulled the cap off it, I noticed the rubber sprang forward like a guide to the eyepiece, and I thought oh, is that how I'm meant to look through it.......?

Folded back for glasses-wearers and up otherwise.

• Thanks 1

I have the same scope mounted on a az gti. I purchased an 8mm and 15mm BST eyepieces and am made up with them. My 15mm is my goto eyepiece and I may get a 12mm in the future. I'm also going to buy a 32mm plossl for low mag objects like open clusters.

5 hours ago, M40 said:

The big question though is have I helped or hindered in you spending your money 😉

Edit. Just seen the price of the baader! 

By heck lol.

Deffo Hindered! Haha, just kidding. I didn't even realise you could get a zoom attachment. That sounds like a game changer! Will be looking into that, thanks!👍

Edited by fullmoon

4 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi Rich,

You might try tightening all the screws and bolts in your tripod as often they can be a little loose from the factory. The tripod is often a weak point so by ensuring everything is secured properly, including any accessory tray, you'll give the mount better stability. 

Thanks, next time I get it outside, I will give it a proper double check. I think the main wobble was from the scope itself though. Almost like the scopes too big for the EQ bit.

4 hours ago, Pixies said:

The StarGuider 8mm and 12mm are the best of the range and would be a good option for your scope - giving x112 and x75 magnification

But likewise, the 8-24mm zooms are a good option.

For a widefield view - try a 32mm plossl type.  This is a good budget one:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astro-essentials-eyepieces/astro-essentials-super-plossl-eyepiece.html

or for a little more, the 30mm in this range:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-npl-eyepieces.html

Eyepieces will transfer to other scopes when/if you upgrade.

Brill, thanks for the recommendations, going to have a look now.

4 hours ago, cajen2 said:

Or folded back for people whose eye 'hovers' over the EP, like me.

This is how I found it most comfortable to view also.

53 minutes ago, Ed the Fox said:

I have the same scope mounted on a az gti. I purchased an 8mm and 15mm BST eyepieces and am made up with them. My 15mm is my goto eyepiece and I may get a 12mm in the future. I'm also going to buy a 32mm plossl for low mag objects like open clusters.

Awesome! Think I'm going to start with the 8mm or 12mm and possibly a zoom as mentioned by M40.