Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wider FOV 68 Vs 82 Degree for a fast scope

Ratlet

41 minutes ago, Elp said:

Baader De has them on sale among other items right now. The UK site you can't buy them and it refers you to find a dealer. UK dealers have them at the usual prices.

That is a Baader policy then, rather than a UK dealer one ?

Just now, John said:

Likely, but if you can buy them from baader at the sale price it's a bit of a strange policy.

40 minutes ago, Elp said:

Baader De has them on sale among other items right now. The UK site you can't buy them and it refers you to find a dealer. UK dealers have them at the usual prices.

Don't tell my wife.

FLO's price seems quite reasonable for such a well corrected, high performing and complex eyepiece. I guess I'm looking at alternatives such as the Delos and the XW's which seem to be in the same league.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John said:

FLO's price seems quite reasonable for such a well corrected, high performing and complex eyepiece. I guess I'm looking at alternatives such as the Delos and the XW's which seem to be in the same league.

Going to be honest, I thought they were on sale because it seemed like a very good price, especially when you look at the price of eyepieces it goes toe to toe with.

2 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Going to be honest, I thought they were on sale because it seemed like a very good price, especially when you look at the price of eyepieces it goes toe to toe with.

Exactly.

5 hours ago, Elp said:

Same here in the US.  They won't ship to any country with an official Baader distributor different from themselves.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

Same here in the US.  They won't ship to any country with an official Baader distributor different from themselves.

They're only $249 in the US, though.  You won't get them any cheaper from the EU.

5 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

They're only $249 in the US, though.  You won't get them any cheaper from the EU.

They're $185 Euros in Germany (no VAT to US).  This equates to $203.  Factor in no sales tax or import duties and $30 shipping, and you're slightly ahead, especially if you can't get free shipping and a seller that doesn't charge your state's sales tax here in the US.  I've bought all of my Morpheus eyepieces from the UK in the past for these reasons.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Louis D said:

They're $185 Euros in Germany (no VAT to US).  This equates to $203.  Factor in no sales tax or import duties and $30 shipping, and you're slightly ahead, especially if you can't get free shipping and a seller that doesn't charge your state's sales tax here in the US.  I've bought all of my Morpheus eyepieces from the UK in the past for these reasons.

I'm always surprised by pricing of some things internationally.  Actual Astronomy kind of opened my eyes where they were cheaper buying from the UK (usually FLO) and having it shipped to Canada than buying locally.  Also the Moveshootmove phone holder which is about 2/3 the cost buying from the US and shipping to the UK compared to buying from the UK supplier.

Received some info that suppliers should be offering the discount during the offer period, interesting that it hasn't happened yet.

Edited by Elp

On 01/02/2023 at 22:44, Ratlet said:

Cheers baz, this ties in with part of what I'm looking to do with getting the wide angle.  I'm trying to figure out what works best for me.  I'm absolutely satisfied with my 60° FOV at the moment and I'm stepping up to 82° purely out of curiosity and dip my toe in. 

Chances are in a couple of months a flat field will be on the cards.  Never tried a flat field before so it'll be interesting to see what difference it makes and if that's what I'm looking for. 

I'm enjoying the learning process immensely, even if my initial expectations are usually wrong.  But flat field is definitely something I'm wanting to look into.

I can recommend the GSO/SL coma corrector in a Newtonian, my ES Maxvisions 82' are pinpoints to the field stop. Just fit 29mm worth of M48 spaces between the 2" fitting and the nose piece, works on all my 2" eyepieces. I have no doubt Niervana's would be just the same.

• Like 1

On 01/05/2023 at 18:15, Ratlet said:

Pulled the trigger on the Morpheus.  Apparently there is a sale on?  

On 02/05/2023 at 09:37, Elp said:

Funny how the baader sale never filters down to UK suppliers.

On 02/05/2023 at 10:44, Elp said:

On 02/05/2023 at 11:26, John said:

We received an email from Baader today 🙂 

In the next hour, we will apply the discounts on our website and then post an announcement. 

@Ratlet, if you purchased your eyepiece from FLO, please email us to receive a FLO Gift Voucher equal to the price difference 🙂 

HTH

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Coco said:

I can recommend the GSO/SL coma corrector in a Newtonian, my ES Maxvisions 82' are pinpoints to the field stop. Just fit 29mm worth of M48 spaces between the 2" fitting and the nose piece, works on all my 2" eyepieces. I have no doubt Niervana's would be just the same.

Do you have a photo of your GSO coma corrector setup please? I am considering buying one for my 12” dobsonian. The SL focuser is different from the Skywatcher etc. Thanks.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FLO said:

We received an email from Baader today 🙂 

In the next hour, we will apply the discounts on our website and then post an announcement. 

@Ratlet, if you purchased your eyepiece from FLO, please email us to receive a FLO Gift Voucher equal to the price difference 🙂 

HTH

This is why I buy all my stuff from FLO!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Do you have a photo of your GSO coma corrector setup please? I am considering buying one for my 12” dobsonian. The SL focuser is different from the Skywatcher etc. Thanks.

I'll take one when I get home from work 🙃

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

PXL_20230503_161806266.jpg

PXL_20230503_161730123.jpg

PXL_20230503_161923494.jpg

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Coco said:

As promised 😇

Thanks for this. What f ratio is your scope? I’m just wondering whether the spacing will be different. Mine is f5. I will buy the GSO coma corrector as soon as I track one down. Thanks again 👍

16 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Thanks for this. What f ratio is your scope? I’m just wondering whether the spacing will be different. Mine is f5. I will buy the GSO coma corrector as soon as I track one down. Thanks again 👍

Same as yours f5,  £99 from FLO is considerably cheaper than Aliexpress, I gave up waiting for second hand as the nights were starting to get lighter, the M48 rings were from amazon.

Even the Morph 17.5 has better correction at the extreme edges.

My scopes well collimated via Ocal, and the spiders spikes are scalpel thin. 

Trapezium. I can see 4 point stars and glances of 5 at the edge of the field. 

Time on target vastly improved.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

The spacer length depends on what eyepiece you use that has the most in-focus, not the f/ratio of the scope.

The "working distance" for the lens is 75 +/- 5mm from the focal plane of the eyepiece.

But 2" eyepieces have their focal planes from more than an inch down into the lower barrel (below the "shoulder") all the way up to almost an inch above the shoulder.

To correctly choose the right spacer between the upper section of the GSO coma corrector and the lens, you first need to do a couple things:

1) determine where the focal plane of your scope is.  This can be done by putting translucent scotch tape across the 2" opening of the focuser, pointing the scope at the Moon, then focusing the moon on the tape.

That is where your scope's focal plane is.  Measure how far out the focuser is and write it down.

2) Insert the eyepiece you own that you know takes the most in-focus (or experiment to see which one it is).  Put it in the scope and focus the scope on the Moon.

Measure how far out the focuser is and write it down.  It will be a shorter distance than the focus on the tape.

The in-focus distance that eyepiece requires is the key figure.  Write it down.

3) measure the length of the top section of the GSO coma corrector and subtract that from 75mm.  Write down that dimension.

The spacer length you need will be 75mm minus the length of the top of the coma corrector MINUS the in focus distance for the eyepiece that needed the most in focus.

[example: 31mm Nagler needs about a 10mm in travel from the focal plane of the scope.  75-46-10=19mm spacer]

If a spacer of that length is inserted in the CC, the focal plane of the eyepiece will be the correct 75mm distance from the lens when inserted in the CC.

Then:

4) insert the eyepiece in the CC with the correct spacer added, and focus the scope.  Lock the focuser (or just don't move it).

For every other eyepiece you own, insert it in the CC and slide it out of the CC until it is in focus.  That will be the correct position for that eyepiece relative to the CC lens.

All your eyepieces will focus at the same place in the focuser travel when the CC is installed and the eyepieces correctly set.

Since that is not easy to do every time, I recommend parfocalizing rings be installed on your eyepieces so each one can be returned to exactly the same place each time it is inserted.

You can save time by parfocalizing all your eyepieces with the one that needs the most in-focus before you get the CC.  Then, after you use that in-most eyepiece to determine the spacer length in your CC,

all your eyepieces will be simple "drop-in" accessories that will already be in focus when inserted (+/- 0.5mm).

Edited by Don Pensack
  • Thanks 2