Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CloudWatcher recommendations please

iapa

Here's what I put on the other thread....

If you're speaking of the Hydreon unit for the cloudwatcher that is more of an ON/OFF for rain and can be affected by dew. I went for the other version that can be set accordingly for Rain/Wet/Dry as needed. Also the internal device is probably the SOLO which isn't needed really. I have the Cloudwatcher connected to my observatory pc and then check things out via that. You can install the software on another network connected PC if you wish but I don't bother.

Also if you buy one now you'll get the detector that will support the latest software which converts the sky brightness reading into SQM. I have that software installed as they sent it me to fix a couple of bugs I'd found but unfortunately my version is just a tad too old so I'll need to buy a new cover as and when they're available.

Edited by scotty38

This is the one I was looking at, I started by searching on FLO - as any normal person would do in the UK.

Discarded the Pegasus as it is an in-door only unit, and I need to know when the rain stops or cloud clears

The Lunatico is already in the cart with bells and whistles - why not if I am building a new forever observatory; that advice was from the Chief Finance Officer.

Edited by iapa
Spelling corrections

@scotty38 How have you found the default threshold  limit values match up with the reality? I'm thinking specifically of the cloud conditions thresholds - I've found I needed to drop the value for "Clear" status to -20 to get better match with genuinely clear skies

image.png.22c733e43ab3a6279e0e86a74d5e9b57.png

I must admit I keep wondering about changing the sky temp limits. It can be out a touch but it hasn't seemed to cause me any bother yet though. The one I have fiddled with is rain just to make sure it picks it up ok. I was having a play last week as we had a few spots of rain that didn't register as quickly as I wanted. Is yours at default as I couldn't recall what they were but seeing yours rings a bell now.

Screenshot 2023-01-31 230056.png

Yes "rain" is at default on mine but I dragged cloud (clear) a long way colder.

I know behaviour can be tweaked via the sky temp correction factors on the setup page but I simply haven't had the conditions it suggests to do the tests the manual recommends.

• 1 month later...
On 01/02/2023 at 07:30, Jannerland said:

Yes "rain" is at default on mine but I dragged cloud (clear) a long way colder.

I know behaviour can be tweaked via the sky temp correction factors on the setup page but I simply haven't had the conditions it suggests to do the tests the manual recommends.

Here are the settings I ended up with that seem to be remarkably accurate 

image.png.ede23bd091e0e53c690466ae2dd5bfde.png