SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

using rotator do i need to retake my darks flats bias

iwols

27 minutes ago, iwols said:

just wondered when using my rotator do i need to retake my darks flats bias frames? thanks 

You certainly dont need to retake your bias or your darks as these will not change with optics. 

You would be well advised to retake your flats though as any flight colimation error or tilt in your system (and nothing is perfect) will result in the illumination profile changing slightly with rotation. 

Adam 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, iwols said:

just wondered when using my rotator do i need to retake my darks flats bias frames? thanks 

Darks and bias frames will be fine

Flats need to be retaken every time you move the camera or the dust bunnies shift around.

I have heard that dark frames expire after a while, as the camera's dark pattern slowly changes over time. I don't know how true that is but I don't use darks personally.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pipnina said:

I have heard that dark frames expire after a while, as the camera's dark pattern slowly changes over time. I don't know how true that is but I don't use darks personally.

True, just noticed that i have hot pixels in calibrated 60s subs that were previously calibrated out. The darks i used were more than a year old, so maybe once a year its a decent idea to retake darks.

Worth saying that i only noticed them because i was shooting a comet and not dithering. Dithering would have removed those completely.

• Like 2