Narrowband

2024 Scotland's Spring Galloway Premier Star Camp.

Physopto

Hi Everyone,

As usual I am announcing the dates as soon as practical so that people who need to give employers
very early dates for holidays can do so.

Apologies for the changes below but due to past poor

weather conditions in March.

We are now trying a different Month this time.

🌌 Reworked dates now set below.🌌

Scotland's Premier Star Camp during the Spring February 2024

It will be held at Drumroamin Camp Site.

at:

1 South Balfern, Kirkinner, Newton Stewart, Dumfries and Galloway, DG8 9DB 

Between Tuesday 6th and Monday 12th February. 

(The New Moon is on Friday the 9th February)  

These dates contain the weekend following.

Latitude: 54.83253

Longitude: -4.45677

Target: 9/2/2024 23:46:37      Target: 9/2/2024 23:46:37

Phase Name: New Moon        Phase Name: New Moon

Percent of Full: 0%     Percent of Full: 0%

Age: 0% (0 days 0 hrs 46 mins)         Age: 0% (0 days 0 hrs 46 mins)

Azimuth:   339° 13' 35"          Azimuth:   339° 13' 35" 

Altitude:   -52° 11' 29"            Altitude:   -52° 11' 29" 

Rise: 08:22 at 130°     Rise: 08:22 at 130°

Set: 16:14 at 233°       Set: 16:14 at 233°

Next New: 10/3/2024 09:01  [29.4 days]       Next New: 10/3/2024 09:01  [29.4 days]

Next FQ: 16/2/2024 15:02  [6.6 days]            Next FQ: 16/2/2024 15:02  [6.6 days]

Next Full: 24/2/2024 12:31  [14.5 days]        Next Full: 24/2/2024 12:31  [14.5 days]

Next LQ: 3/3/2024 15:24  [22.7 days]            Next LQ: 3/3/2024 15:24  [22.7 days]

This means that observers and imagers are still able to view/image some days before

and after the New Moon without moonlight pollution affecting them as shown above.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Some time ago I was asked by an SGL member if I had any information regarding

the Past/Long-Term Weather around the Wigtown/Newton Stewart area.

I try my best to pick when I think we may get better weather, errr.... crossed fingers!

So below is what I have found so far, I hope it is of some interest as to how and why

I picked the dates that I have following these data and others on line.

For example February might seem a better month for the Spring event, longer nights and possibly colder,

but it can be a wetter month, especially in early February.

March is supposedly drier, but then it has shorter nights and so loses dark hours to either view or image.

Therefore late February to early March seems the better time.

But, it all depends upon the New Moon dates available and where they fit in the month.

Also I try to see if I can fit in the dates as close to a weekend as possible.

Lesley also opens up the camping area just for us and excludes the general public,

so these dates have to bear in mind her opening dates!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Some interesting information for Wigtown.

(Precipitation and Temperatures)

image.png.f98c715f18c48d6d58196f6252c95a32.png

Dates of the Star Camp picked because of likelihood of best weather combined with hours of darkness,

The warmest month of the year is July, with an average temperature of 14.5 °C | 58.0 °F. At 4.2 °C | 39.6 °F on average, February is the coldest month of

the year.

Temps.jpg.205b8979c53ebebaf72b8313898f6304.jpg

As always those wishing to attend a day or so early and/or stay longer can request this with Lesley at the time of booking!

Hope to see you all there.

Best wishes

Edited by Physopto
Change of Month to try for better weather
  • Like 4

On 26/01/2023 at 23:36, estwing said:

Dob mob will be pleased to support this event 

Glad to hear it 😀

How are you doing?

I posted these Spring dates so as to keep my promise to post a year in advance wherever possible.

As I said, I have to firm up the dates ASAP. So please bear that in mind. I am pretty sure it will be OK though.

I also have the dates for the 2024 Autumn Star Camp sorted, but I will await Lesley's Ok before posting them.

I am concurently busy with several other projects and did not want to forget to let everyone know the proposed dates ASAP.

It should only be a few days hopefully to confirm everything.

• Physopto changed the title to 2024 Scotland's Spring Galloway Premier Star Camp.
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2023 at 13:43, Physopto said:

Revised dates ( 26-03-2023) for this Star Camp now confirmed.

Between Tuesday 6th and Monday 12th February 2024

I will look back in my records. I have been there in February and my recollection was that it was cold but excellent skies,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndyKeogh said:

I will look back in my records. I have been there in February and my recollection was that it was cold but excellent skies,

Hi Andy,

Yes we used to have a Star Camp at times in February but it was dependant upon whether the static vans were available. Often it could not happen due to the "Shooters hiring both statics".  Now that they no longer are able to do that, it will be easier for us.

Now the problem may be not only a bad patch of weather, but people who have bought the statics flooding the field with lights !!

Only time will tell.

Hi Derek, not sure if you'll remember me but we met a few times at Kielder...the last of which was probably was back in 2012/13 when we had our youngest son with us.  He was a toddler back then but is now 10 and has his own scope!  

Anyway, we're back to astronomy after an almost 10yr break...still have the FLT132 and are thinking about a trip up to Galloway as the revised dates fit in with half term so we can make the journey worthwhile with a full week break. 

What are the options for accommodation?  Is it just tents or are there any huts/statics available? Jen and our youngest Calvin will be joinjng us but I'm a little worried about them camping early February in scotland!!

Anyway, hope you're well!

Clear Skies

Michael

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 21/08/2023 at 17:37, Lucas M said:

Hi, I haven't been to this event (or any star party) before but its looking like this will be my first.  How do you book? simply send the campsite an email directly?

Thanks 

Best to phone Leslie at Drumroamin Campsite on 01988 840613

• 1 month later...
On 13/07/2023 at 17:39, dust of time said:

Hi all.

I'm thinking of attending the GSP in November '23. Any info appreciated. 

Cheers

Hello, have you replied on the other thread about the 2023 November star party and get a view on the number attending. I think at last count there were 6 places left. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all, never having been to this (or any other) star party before, I'm trying to figure out some of the practicalities and was hoping anyone that's been before could shed some light on a couple of things for me...

At this campsite do you park at your tent pitch or in a separate car park?

Do we set up our scopes next to our tent pitches, or is there a separate "observation field" where everyone sets up their gear?

Thanks 👍

6 hours ago, Lucas M said:

Hi all, never having been to this (or any other) star party before, I'm trying to figure out some of the practicalities and was hoping anyone that's been before could shed some light on a couple of things for me...

At this campsite do you park at your tent pitch or in a separate car park?

Do we set up our scopes next to our tent pitches, or is there a separate "observation field" where everyone sets up their gear?

Thanks 👍

Park and setup on the pitch next to your tent Lucas, theres plenty of space and good visibility all round.

Look forward to meeting you, when are you arriving?

Edit : just realised this is the spring camp you're posting on, is it spring you're attending or the autumn one this weekend ? 

Edited by LandyJon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LandyJon said:

Park and setup on the pitch next to your tent Lucas, theres plenty of space and good visibility all round.

Look forward to meeting you, when are you arriving?

Thanks very much, that's really helpful!

I've book for the whole time so will be arriving on the Tuesday.

Really looking forward to it

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lucas M said:

Thanks very much, that's really helpful!

I've book for the whole time so will be arriving on the Tuesday.

Really looking forward to it

Be good to meet you in the spring. 

I'm all packed ready for this one. So early start tomorrow and hopefully be there early aft.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, Derek et al,

Happy New Year to all.

re my Achilles tendon injury.   I've sent the following to Lesley - self explanatory.  Sorry I'll miss February,  c'est la vie!

Cheers, Peter Vasey

"My tendon injury is fortunately healing quite well.  But after 8 weeks of non use, when I was back to wearing shoes just before Christmas the calf muscle was just a lump of jelly!  It is clear to me that it's going to be two or three months before it is anywhere near full strength again.  So reluctantly I must cancel my booking for February 6th. Working my caravan and moving relatively heavy equipment could be a recipe for further injury at that time.  I will look forward to 30th October when all should be well! "

Edited by petevasey
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear the recovery will take longer, but look on the bright side, at least you are getting better. That is a big PLUS.

We will miss you at the Star Party. Hope to see you at the next one.

All the best.

Edited by Physopto

3 hours ago, estwing said:

Unfortunately due to other commitments I cannot attend this star party, but the autumn will be my next one👍

Shame, we see you in the Autumn then.

• Like 2