Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I ordered my first Apochromatic Refractor!

Hi all. I just ordered my first ever Apo! It's an Altair 66mm ED Doublet Apochromatic Refractor ( I know, some people say doublets aren't true Apo's? ) 

I paid £230 for it, second hand. I bought it to allow me to do wider field imaging, obviously better optics than my 3 Achromatic Refractors, and it should be more forgiving with the tracking accuracy when imaging. I have really struggle with polar alignment.   Altair Astro Lightwave 66ED-R refractor review

Though I am getting better at polar alignment with every night of imaging I manage. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, great_bear said:

What method are you using for polar alignment?

Hi G-bear. I use my HEQ5's Polar Scope, using Polar Scope Align Pro App on my iPhone, to see exactly where Polaris should be in the Polar Scopes "round circle". Basically, say if PS Align Pro shows Polaris at the 6:35pm position, then I will try my absolute best to get Polaris in that exact position, but even after all my attention to detail/trying so hard, I can't manage subs that go past 30-45 seconds, because the dreaded star trails start in my subs!? I was, however, only managing 10-20 second subs before star trailing kicked in, so I guess, maybe, I am getting a tiny bit better at polar alignment, as my experience grows? Please bear in mind though, I am still a beginner Astrophotographer, so if I have said anything stupid, please go easy on me! 

2 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

Not sure why it would be more forgiving of the tracking accuracy unless your PA uses the scope/main camera.

I assume that tracking is easier when you are using a much shorter FL telescope for imaging? Like if I was to put a 12" SCT 'scope on my mount, with roughly 3000mm of Fl, then I would guess that that would be much harder on the tracking than, say, my new 400mm FL 'scope? 

Just now, wesdon1 said:

I assume that tracking is easier when you are using a much shorter FL telescope for imaging? Like if I was to put a 12" SCT 'scope on my mount, with roughly 3000mm of Fl, then I would guess that that would be much harder on the tracking than, say, my new 400mm FL 'scope? 

Yes, fair enough I thought you meant it would improve the tracking somehow being an APO.

There is a PA routine built into the handset which you may want to try as it would nudge your PA bit by bit using an eyepiece/star, see page 35 of the manual attached. THere are of course other options depending on you imaging capture method (using a PC etc).

SynScan_HandControl_web191112v3_2_.pdf

• Thanks 1

On 23/01/2023 at 11:49, wesdon1 said:

Hi all. I just ordered my first ever Apo! It's an Altair 66mm ED Doublet Apochromatic Refractor ( I know, some people say doublets aren't true Apo's? ) 

I paid £230 for it, second hand. I bought it to allow me to do wider field imaging, obviously better optics than my 3 Achromatic Refractors, and it should be more forgiving with the tracking accuracy when imaging. I have really struggle with polar alignment.   Altair Astro Lightwave 66ED-R refractor review

Though I am getting better at polar alignment with every night of imaging I manage. 

Congrats! I just got my first apo too and I'm loving it so far, though only used it just the once for a quick session last night in fairly good seeing, but hope to get out again tonight as sky is currently clear.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

I will try my absolute best to get Polaris in that exact position, but even after all my attention to detail/trying so hard, I can't manage subs that go past 30-45 seconds, because the dreaded star trails start in my subs!?

Try drift alignment - that should fix it. 

• Thanks 1

On 24/01/2023 at 14:07, StevieDvd said:

Yes, fair enough I thought you meant it would improve the tracking somehow being an APO.

There is a PA routine built into the handset which you may want to try as it would nudge your PA bit by bit using an eyepiece/star, see page 35 of the manual attached. THere are of course other options depending on you imaging capture method (using a PC etc).

SynScan_HandControl_web191112v3_2_.pdf 961.69 kB · 3 downloads

@StevieDvd Thank You so much for bringing that PA function to my attention, I had no idea about it. I am still very anxious when heading outside still, because I absolutely DREAD doing the PA, because I really struggle to know whether I am actually looking at Polaris and not a nearby star. So anything that will help me with PA is very welcome! Thanks again! 

Just now, rnobleeddy said:

I struggled with PA when I started out. I'd recommend https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/ - it's £10 and is the easiest PA approach I've seen. I leave my mount in my garden under a cover so it doesn't move a lot, but when I realign it literally takes less than 2 minutes with SharpCap.

@rnobleeddy Hi, unfortunately I live in a 2nd floor flat, so leaving my gear outside is a no go! LOL. In regards sharpcap, I do actually have the free version, but might get a subscription? If for nothing else just to help me with polar alignment! I am getting better at it, but not good enough to venture past 45seconds to 1 minute subs! ( and even then, my stars have small trails! ) 

On 26/01/2023 at 13:01, DSviewer said:

Silly question all but how safe and reliable no hand scopes looking myself 

Well, my (wife’s) Explorer SynTrek died last month - but it had worked fine for 14 years, which was fair enough. To repair it, I just bought a SynScan motorised head off eBay for £90 which screws on to the same tripod - so the “repair” actually turned into an upgrade! 🙂

As I’m sure you can imagine there are reliable units and some which were not so good. Best to ask about specific ones that you are considering. 

Edited by great_bear
  • Like 2