SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ED80 Focuser

So, I've got a side by side setup. My new(ish) Stellamira 90 with my 294mc and my old ED80 with a 290mc. I had intended to use the ED80 for some lunar imaging but due to the awful focuser, compared to the SM90 with the EAF, it never gets any use. Can anyone recommend a cheapish focuser that'll work with an EAF so I can make more use of it. 

cheers. 

• Like 1

I've got the Sky Watcher version of THIS focuser on my 80ED DS Pro & 100ED DS Pro. The Astro Essentials version is the same thing but a little cheaper. ;)

I forgot to add that they both have ZWO EAF fitted.

Edited by Budgie1
  • Like 2

I've just had to take my EAF off the Evostar 80ED and retighten the screws.

It is such a bad design but I find that if I really overtighten the screws I can get it to work.

The Astro Essentials focuser that Budgie1 has mentioned looks like a good replacement.  Tempting!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jammy said:

I've just had to take my EAF off the Evostar 80ED and retighten the screws.

It is such a bad design but I find that if I really overtighten the screws I can get it to work.

The Astro Essentials focuser that Budgie1 has mentioned looks like a good replacement.  Tempting!

Before I bought the upgraded focuser, I did some work on the original focus tube to flatten the friction surface. It may be worth trying to see if yours would work better from it.

Here's a video to show you what to do, note the comment about not putting too much pressure on the tube with the vice!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

Before I bought the upgraded focuser, I did some work on the original focus tube to flatten the friction surface. It may be worth trying to see if yours would work better from it.

Here's a video to show you what to do, note the comment about not putting too much pressure on the tube with the vice!

I've done all of that. I've had 6 good years out of it but since using the Stellamira focuser I just can't be bothered with it any more. Realised I subjected myself to 6 yrs of annoyance with a crappy focuser. The ED80 itself is fine. 

• Like 2

My focuser failed again with the weight of the ASI1600mm Pro, filter wheel, spacers and focal reducer.

Astro essentials take my money! 😂

@Budgie1 is the EAF easy to fit onto this focuser?

Edited by Jammy

45 minutes ago, Jammy said:

@Budgie1 is the EAF easy to fit onto this focuser?

I didn't have an issues with either of mine.

One thing to mention with the upgraded Sky Watcher or Astro Essentials focuser is that there's no screw thread on the end of the focuser tube. So you can't just screw the FF/FR onto it like you can with the standard focuser.

I got a  push-fit adaptor from FLO, which screws onto the front of the FF/FR and then slides into the focuser. ;)

• Like 1

I bought the push fit adapter from FLO three years ago but never got round to buying the SW upgrade focuser!

The Astro Essentials focuser arrived today.  Looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks

• Like 1