Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 4565 - Mini Sombrero, nice visual target too...

Tim

At least, that's what the book says. My guide to the sky says of this galaxy that it is one of, if not the best object in the northern sky for visual observance, I thought I'd take a pic and have a look that way. NGC4565 is also known as the Mini Sombrero (M104) but it is in a much better position, higher in the sky than Markarians chain, and similar direction.

I have been doing 80 odd hours a week at work and then staying up nearly all night during that clear spell, so I have a shedload of images just waiting to be processed, but little time to do them, and not much energy/concentration left either.

However, as it is my shot at judging POW this week, and as I am keen on the more unusual targets, I thought I'd post this one as a reminder to look in your books etc for something we dont see so often. (Yes I know deep sky are going to have it tough/impossible this week, all the more challenge eh?)

Image details:

Imaging QHY8 on C9.25 @f6.3 with celestron OAG via Nebulosity2.

Guiding with meade DSI Pro and PHD and an unbelievably faint guide star.

15 x 600 secs

20 x darks, 50 x flats, bias applied in DSS. (2xdrizzle)

Finished in Photoshop.

Image here reduced to 25% of original size.

Thanks for looking. Perhaps somebody would be kind enough to annotate the other fuzzies?

TJ

post-14037-133877365046_thumb.jpg

A lovely image TJ. It could almost pass for the Sombrero too.

This one is a member of the Coma Group of galaxies, and I have just sought out a Hi. Res. Image of it, and there are a fair number of the group to be seen.

Ron.;)

Very nicely done Tim I wondered what had happened as I know you had been out during the clear spell. Glad to see you had a productive time. It's one giant flying saucer ;). Like you say it a good one visually, I had a good view of it at one of the Kelling spring events.

Regards

Kevin

Nice capture TJ - the other fuzzies I can make out so far from top down are ... IC3546, IC3571, NGC4562, IC3533. There's probably more in there but it's just too sunny here ;) looking at it on my work screen.

cheers

Keith

Could be Martin, I have noticed on the odd occasion I look at my pics on a normal monitor that they are on the red side, but the other PC just hasnt got the guts to handle the large images so I do everything on the laptop, where they look ok. The odd thing is, both monitor and laptop are calibrated in the same way, but the images come out differently.

I'm trying to fix a flats problem on another image, when that's done, i'll take another look at this one. In the meantime, i'd be most interested to hear how it looks on other folks screens?

Cheers

Tim

Archived