Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

140mm Stellarvue APO: New “Forever Scope” arrived!

Five years ago, shortly after I got my first scope as a total starter in this pastime, I added my name to the waiting list for an Astro-Physics 130, on the basis that at that time I certainly wouldn’t be able to appreciate it with nothing and no experience to compare it to, but by the time my number came up I was likely to have gained that experience

Well my number has not come up, but I am now ready. So I’ve given up on the AP, and committed myself to a Stellarvue SVX140T, which should be with me in a month or so. I understand that in the US at the very top refractor level, there are currently three names: AP, TEC and Stellarvue, with Stellarvue a relative newcomer to the top tier and therefore a little less wait-listed.

I await with much excitement…

Magnus

Edited by Captain Scarlet
Title change
  • Like 24

Sounds exciting Magnus.

140's are nice !!  An ideal aperture i'd say. Not too big, not too small : just right.

Are you importing it directly from Stellarvue ?  Let us know how you get on. I've imported quite a bit of stuff from the US over the years from various vendors, and its always been an easy, seamless process.

I've also had my eye on their 102mm refractors , but haven't made any decisions as yet. The wallet remains empty.

• Like 1

Photos certainly @HollyHound in due course! Try to stop me :) !

@Space Hopper yes directly from US to Ireland. I expect it to be reasonably smooth but not especially cheap. I’m not certain how much Customs will be but I’ve budgeted for worst-case. And VAT of course.

I have a 105mm refractor, and that extra increment over having, say, a 100mm is what pushed me to 140 rather than 130 (which SV also do). 140 just the right step up.

• Like 1

Generally 20% VAT (for UK) + a handling fee on top. 

When I brought the DM-6 mount back in 2014 we were getting $1.70 to the £UK which softened the blow considerably.

My scope was purchased in 2017/18, and the rate had dropped quite a bit, but that was through Astrograph, so i had the peace of mind with dealing with Rupert.

You always worry with a scope that it may arrive damaged, but i guess thats why we have insurance. My mount was pretty much bomb proof, so no worries there.

I often wonder why there are no Stellavue dealers over this side ? They are certainly producing some very impressive refractors, and Vic Marris himself seems to be steering his company in the right direction.

• Thanks 1

Exciting times Magnus 😁. What focuser option did you go for? Do you plan on using it side by side with one of the newts on the AZEQ6? Suppose that might be a bit awkward with one ep at the back and one at the front!

I must say that whacking your name on the AP waiting list as soon as you get into the hobby is rather a bold move 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Exciting times Magnus 😁. What focuser option did you go for? Do you plan on using it side by side with one of the newts on the AZEQ6? Suppose that might be a bit awkward with one ep at the back and one at the front!

I must say that whacking your name on the AP waiting list as soon as you get into the hobby is rather a bold move 😂

I did ask if they could do the FT focuser but that put the wait time out by a couple of months they said, so I went for their native option. Which still looks quite good, we’ll see. I also considered their “Raptor” version for a couple of hundred extra with carbon-fiber tube, but I hanker after a white scope for some silly reason.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Nice choice 👍I fancy a TEC140 but the waiting list is horrendous.

Around 2 years now , i believe. Which is a long time. They produce about one of them a week, so you can tell they have a big order book.

At one time towards the end of the 140 ED era, the wait time was only 3 - 6 months. My own scope was a 13 month wait.

11 hours ago, RobertI said:

Excellent, something a bit different, looking forward to seeing it! :) In house premium optics by the look of it. Is it a doublet or triplet?  

Triplet. The letter-clature of scopes intrigue me. Generally all the letters around a scope’s number do seem to mean something. In this case I’ve worked out that SV = Stellarvue (obvs); X = extreme, excellent? T = Triplet.

At least, that’s my theory and I’m sticking to it :) 

Edited by Captain Scarlet
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Alan White said:

I presume the reply you sent @Captain Scarlet was no, don't worry about it, please send it to Alan White in England instead.... 🤣
You know that is the right thing to do after all.

Seriously, nice news and always uplifting to receive.
I await the arrival with anticipation.

Yes well of course I did, but now you've guessed and spoiled the surprise I’ll sadly have to redirect to myself :(

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

How exciting, just be prepared for two weeks of cloud cover though, that's normally taken as read 🙂 

Steve

It’s a bit like a second life sentence “to be served concurrently”: there’s already been 100% cloud cover for weeks!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, Captain Scarlet said:

It’s a bit like a second life sentence “to be served concurrently”: there’s already been 100% cloud cover for weeks!

Very similar here too, had a week early in January had around 3 clearish nights all in same week but nothing since.

Fingers crossed you get lucky 🙂 

Steve