SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Spaghetti Nebula (SH2-240) - close to 30hrs of data with OSC

AstroGS

This was always one of my favourite targets but, I was hesitate to start with it as I knew it would need a lot of hours and long exposures to start showing the structure of the nebulosity and especially the OIII. After a few evenings with the new Anltia ALP-T and the great results it was producing, I decided to start acquiring data in December 26 and for 6 nights between then and January 19.

177 subs of 600 secs each (and another 25 that I had to ditch for several reasons) + 50 calibration frames (darks, flats & bias), I am happily sharing the below image. If I would have started again, I would frame it differently but still, I am happy with the result (for now 😉 )

The Redcat51 was the perfect telescope for this occasion and with the ASI2600MC, was the perfect combination.

Filters: I used the Antlia ALP-T for the first 147 subs and then (for the remainder 30 subs) the brand new Askar Colourmagic Duoband D2 2" OIII/SII. I cannot express enough how amazing both filters are - absolute gems. I will be sharing in another thread my findings with both - especially compared to the L-Extreme that I had.

For processing & integration I used PI + Star/Blur/NoiseXterminator + Topaz Denoise

p.s. managed to capture also the 121 Hermione asteroid!

SH2_240_FINAL.jpg

SH2_240_SEMIFINAL_Annotated.jpg

• Like 35

Yes, a great result indeed George! That Antlia ALP-T is very interesting. It comes in both a fast and slow optics version. It is a pity that it is quite expensive but I guess you pay for the narrow bandwidth compared to NBZ and L-Extreme. The NBZ has the small advantage of also picking up some blue reflection nebulosity. I doubt that the ALP-T would pick up anything but Ha and Oiii. I found this review of it:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/358830625_Antlia_ALP-T_Filter_Comparison_Test

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gorann said:

Yes, a great result indeed George! That Antlia ALP-T is very interesting. It comes in both a fast and slow optics version. It is a pity that it is quite expensive but I guess you pay for the narrow bandwidth compared to NBZ and L-Extreme. The NBZ has the small advantage of also picking up some blue reflection nebulosity. I doubt that the ALP-T would pick up anything but Ha and Oiii. I found this review of it:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/358830625_Antlia_ALP-T_Filter_Comparison_Test

You are correct gorann - the Antlia is doing a great job for Ha and well for OIII. The stars are super tight and the overall detail really good. Compared with the L-Extreme, is doing a much better job on stars, OIII and the detail. I had the chance to have for a few weeks also an L-Ultimate and I will be super honest to say that I did not like it.

I just got my hands on the new Askar Colourmagic duoband 2” filters; the D1 and D2 that are supposed to work with OSC and they cover the Ha/OIII and SII/OIII bandwidths each. First impression is positive. Awaiting further tests.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, George Sinanis said:

You are correct gorann - the Antlia is doing a great job for Ha and well for OIII. The stars are super tight and the overall detail really good. Compared with the L-Extreme, is doing a much better job on stars, OIII and the detail. I had the chance to have for a few weeks also an L-Ultimate and I will be super honest to say that I did not like it.

I just got my hands on the new Askar Colourmagic duoband 2” filters; the D1 and D2 that are supposed to work with OSC and they cover the Ha/OIII and SII/OIII bandwidths each. First impression is positive. Awaiting further tests.

Great pic! I'm using an Askar D2 with Optolong L-Ultimate, and find they're a good combo. You might want to try your D2 with your Antila. I'll keep an eye out for anything else you post about these filters 👍

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

Great pic! I'm using an Askar D2 with Optolong L-Ultimate, and find they're a good combo. You might want to try your D2 with your Antila. I'll keep an eye out for anything else you post about these filters 👍

Hi Lee - the above picture is indeed produced by combining 147 x 600 secs of Antlia filter + 30 x 600 sec of the Askar D2.

I started a thread on these filters - it is not exactly a scientific analysis but, a trigger to start discussing about it maybe. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

5 weeks of really bad weather and I felt the need to mess around with stuff. I swapped guidescopes, guide cameras, did some cable management, tightened the bolts and screws of things, cleaned the optics and etc. Got bored and started working on old data.

I worked again on the spaghetti nebula... open to any feedback. compared to the original.

Sh2_240.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, simmo39 said:

This one looks a little warmer than the others, a fine image!

I would agree as well. This time I spent almost half a day on it while on the original one, I did it in a rush 😀

Edited by AstroGS

1 hour ago, AstroGS said:

I would agree as well. This time I spent almost half a day on it while on the original one, I did it in a rush 😀

I always seem to get the best image out of the first rendition, any more tinkering I just seen to make it worse.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

I always seem to get the best image out of the first rendition, any more tinkering I just seen to make it worse.

You have point though. It feels the same with some of the images when I am overthinking it. Out of curiosity, which one do you like most?

3 hours ago, AstroGS said:

You have point though. It feels the same with some of the images when I am overthinking it. Out of curiosity, which one do you like most?

I think your last one has the edge, to my old eyes the back ground looks a lot better.

• Like 1

I think that the nebulosity looks punchier in the original, although there's some blotchyness in the background, particularly around the edges and corners, that you've fixed in the second attempt. Both are excellent, of course!

• Like 1