Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Grant

Light Pollution Petition   24/05/16

Please sign the online petition to "Introduce legislation to combat light pollution" and help spread the word! https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119428
Ghost66

Meade MA Modified Achromat 5x 1.25" Eyepiece Set

14 posts in this topic

thanks dont want to spend money on kit thats not any good

Keep your eye open for secondhand Meade Series 4000 Super Plossls. The 15, 20, 26 and 32mm are particularly good. Though do watch out for fakes being sold on ebay.

is there any way to spot fakes?

I've not seen one myself but about a year or two ago there were a number being offered on ebay.

Try posting a 'wanted' ad in the buy/sell section here on SGL, you are far more likely to be offered the real thing. There are a number of other good-quality secondhand eyepieces that should interest you, if you have questions or concerns just ask for opinions.

HTH

For telescopes with a focal ratio above f7, the Kellners or Modified Achromats will work reasonably well. Bang per buck for beginners they can be very cost effective. Upgrade comes with experience.

One of my first eyepieces was a 2" Tal Kellner, I wish I had never sold it! The GSO 26mm Kellner is also good. The centre of both are bright, sharp and contrasty.

If you come across any of the Meade 3000 series plossls (green writing) they are worth considering - Japanese optics and, often, low used prices.

John

I agree with John.

I used to have three of the Series 3000 Plossls and I thought they were pretty good. I let them go with a telescope I sold a few years ago, but sometimes wish I'd kept hold of them.

Lee.

Not all the 3000 series were made in Japan, a few years ago they switched manufacture to China.

Not all the 3000 series were made in Japan, a few years ago they switched manufacture to China.

Thanks for that clarification Steve :)

It's the Japanese ones that I've used and found nice for their cost.

John

Yes, pre-FLO I bought four series 3000 Plossls for myself. The shop had a mix - some Japan and some Chinese - so I asked for Japanese ones. In all honesty I doubt there was much if, any, difference but knowing they were Japanese was somehow reassuring.

Eyepieces can be addictive and I have owned and used allsorts over the years. It really isn't difficult to find good, cheap, secondhand eyepieces.

is there any way to spot fakes?

I bought a set of 4 on ebay about a year ago and I actually had a genuine meade 4000 e/p to compare. There was definitely something dodgy about them eg -

1) the 12 mm e/p had no threading for the filter

2/ the boxes they came in were not the "Meade" blue - they were a sort of more generic royal blue. Also, the Meade logo was a bit rubbish - sort of like a bad forgery. And all the boxes were the same size.

3) I think they only cost about £40 for 4 :)

having said that, the quality seemd ok and I could do a direct compare with the genuine one I had and no obvious difference (to my eyes). in fact, the 12mm is one of my fave eyepieces - it just seems incredibly sharp.

Also, if you were going to go to the hassle of making a half decent fake e/p wouldn't you fake something more expensive?

So my guess is that they're probably seconds not fakes

having said that, my experience is that you're much better off buying one good e/p rather than 5 or 6 mediocre ones (whether they're fakes, seconds or genuine)