Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WOW - AR3190 looking amazing today 20th Jan 2023

Stu

Just a quickie, I’ve looked at the Sun today, and AR3190 looks incredible. Photographic views with fine petal like striations in the penumbra and detail in the umbra. The seeing is a bit wobbly but the detail coming through is excellent, best white light views I’ve had for quite a while.

• Like 10

Same here in Oxford, the clouds cleared for a little while and the big sunspot showing amazing detail at x90. Tried using a oiii filter and noticed a little improvement but not much. Only wish the sun was a bit higher to avoid the heat plumes from the houses across the street.

• Like 6

Seeing must be pretty good around here this morning, solar detail holding up at high magnification. AR3190 is astonishing, biggest sunspot I've ever seen and the detail looks etched using the 3" SD81s with SSW3.5mm and Lunt wedge, SC filter.

• Like 6

Super detail in NI too. I'm seeing an extra dark sideways V inside the umbra, lots of penumbral filaments and the north edge of the umbra is an orangy brown colour, something I have never seen before! Not sure if it's real or an optical effect. Using FOA60Q plus Lunt wedge plus 9mm Abbe.

Malcolm 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Kon said:

No time to look at it through the telescope but a quick glance through a solar filter shows the sunspot as dark spot. It is huge, isn't it!?

I had a look this morning through the telescope and through some eclipse glasses. You can easily make it out with just the glasses. Busy this afternoon and this evening so it’s great getting something in!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PeterStudz said:

I had a look this morning through the telescope and through some eclipse glasses. You can easily make it out with just the glasses. Busy this afternoon and this evening so it’s great getting something in!

Managed a quick peek myself and will have the scope out all day of the weather holds. Still looking amazing, and the seeing is quite reasonable too.

Here's a hand held picture from yesterday which, if you zoom in, you can see a hint (I think) of the orangey/brown colouring I was seeing on the north edge of the umbra. Typically, it looks more obvious in the original pic! Did anyone else notice this? Is this a thing or is it some sort of optical artifact in my system?

Malcolm

IMG_20230120_114550737.thumb.jpg.7cda7036d2a2e67e48523d12789cde8b.jpg

• Like 3