SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC281 in SHO

Adreneline

Hi Everyone,

This one really deserves more time and may get so if the clear spells hold up for another night or two. As it stands it is 10x300s of Ha, OIII and SII taken with an ASI183 on a SharpStar 13028HNT astro-graph, using Astronomik 6nm filters.

Pre--processed in APP and post-processed in PI; presented with and without stars.

NGC281-stars-x2.thumb.jpg.d48ce534f3144e348013e14d91223893.jpg

NGC281-starless-x2.thumb.jpg.5232065ee28c808cfc87757291c35bd3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

• Like 8

Nice image Adrian 🙂 , more data would be great I hope you get the clear skies.

I don't know about you but I have had 2 out of 3 nights this week that started out looking really good, almost like the very cold but very clear winter nights we used to get not too long ago, then 1st night got up at 2 AM to check everything and completely fogged out, scope in and back to bed, last night almost the same at same time but this time snow. Luckily the snow had just started and the scope was not pointing directly up to the heavens, so all was okay just froze to death taking scope and electrics in dressed in PJ.s and dressing gown 🙂 

Almost thinking I just stay up till about 1 or two and then just end the session, can't seem to leave kit out all night anymore, really need an automated obsy.

Steve

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Almost thinking I just stay up till about 1 or two and then just end the session, can't seem to leave kit out all night anymore, really need an automated obsy.

That's me! If I go to bed I can't sleep anyway! The last two nights have been very rewarding here. I could have imaged longer last night but I was imaging IC443 and it was down at about 40 degrees by 02.00 so I decided enough was enough. There was frost on the gear when I brought it all inside but no fogging on the mirrors. Same the previous night with NGC281 - except I got off to a bad start with spacing issues that needed sorting.

This image is the first one with the ASI183 on the SharpStar and spacing is so critical! I needed 55.3 mm to accommodate the Astronomik filters and I put it out with 55.1 mm hinking it might be okay. It wasn't! So I fiddled around for ages getting to 55.3 (55.28 according to my digital caliber) and I think these stars are okay. What a game in freezing temperatures!

Why do we do it!?

Glad you like the image Steve. I will get more data at some stage but I am still at the stage of wanting to point the SS at all manner of stuff just to see what it does 🤣

Adrian

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Why do we do it!?

Insanity ?????

32 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I will get more data at some stage but I am still at the stage of wanting to point the SS at all manner of stuff just to see what it does 🤣

I am now about 4 years into AP and so take 1st year as a learning curve (the steep bit) then 3 years properly and it's not a bad idea, if you get the clear nights, to get a fair few targets under your belt, with enough data to get some images, develop your processing skills and like you say see what's out there that suits your FOV on whatever gear you have. 
Then you can go back to the ones that suit your setups and improve, maybe a better framing, more data and so on, and hopefully you see how you have improved, well that's my theory anyway, we will see 😁

Steve

• Like 2