SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sun in White Light 18/01/23

I had another look at the sun in white light on Wednesday, around mid-day from Southampton.

Only a few high thin clouds around so better conditions than my last attempt at the weekend. Toward the end of observing I took a few snaps. Wonderful views at the moment. And the sunspot AR3190 is a beast! I tried for a close-up with a BST StarGuider 12mm (much more and things started to go fuzzy). The resulting image doesn’t do it justice - visually there were so many more details, especially in and around the penumbra of AR3190. 

SkyWatcher 200p Dob. DIY filter using Baader AstroSolar Safety Film. Starguider 25mm & 12mm, iPhone 14 Pro held onto the eyepiece using a basic smartphone mount.  Single shot RAW Images taken using the stock camera app. Basic editing and crop using the stock camera app.

C1D1D6F9-6E99-45DB-8F35-D423EAC5AED3.jpeg

28E3B562-B2F9-4174-90AB-5CB9E95037A1.jpeg

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

I had another look at the sun in white light on Wednesday, around mid-day from Southampton.

Only a few high thin clouds around so better conditions than my last attempt at the weekend. Toward the end of observing I took a few snaps. Wonderful views at the moment. And the sunspot AR3190 is a beast! I tried for a close-up with a BST StarGuider 12mm (much more and things started to go fuzzy). The resulting image doesn’t do it justice - visually there were so many more details, especially in and around the penumbra of AR3190. 

SkyWatcher 200p Dob. DIY filter using Baader AstroSolar Safety Film. Starguider 25mm & 12mm, iPhone 14 Pro held onto the eyepiece using a basic smartphone mount.  Single shot RAW Images taken using the stock camera app. Basic editing and crop using the stock camera app.

Nice results. I was using the same scope with Nikon D800 and didn't really achieve better than you after stacking 60 images. In fact it was hard to see much difference between the best sub and the processed stack. I didn't even try to get in closer like you did. I posted my pics in the imaging section on Tuesday.

• Thanks 1