Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ekos Align has started saying "telescope aperture and focal length are missing" - so cannot Capture and Solve

skipgazer

Has anyone got a clue what is causing this? I'm using a Nikon DSLR on a Skywatcher Newtonian on an EQ-5 Pro mount. Control is via Stellarmate into KStars/Ekos on my computer. Exactly the same set-up as I always use. After a break of a few weeks I have come back to it and for some reason the Align module has stopped working, with the error message shown in the title.

I'm stumped. Telescope aperture and focal length are there in the INDI Options tab, same as always. I'm sure I must have overlooked something obvious but I don't know what it is complaining about. 

Can anyone help please? 

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 17.40.36.png

Ah: Optical Trains ... I realise the update I have from late December has silently introduced an entire new concept in Ekos. I'm now watching Jasem's YouTube tutorial which, I hope, will explain what's going on. I'm surprised this isn't flagged up somewhere in the actual software but is on a corner of the KStars website! 

EDIT: it did. In case this helps anyone else:

For whatever reason,  my Optical Trains table does not pop up automatically as shown in Jasem's video - I had to click on the Edit (pencil) next to where it said Train: Primary at the top of the Align module. Then - also for whatever reason - this had pre-filled my mount and camera ... but there was nothing under Scope/Lens, perhaps because that information is not in the devices list in the main Ekos profile I'm using, along with mount, camera and focuser. (This makes sense because the telescope isn't a device anything controls, as such). Using the dropdown in the Optical Train profile revealed that telescope information, and this then autocompleted the required fields in the Align module. 

It's not dark yet so I can't test it, but it seems pretty obvious that was where the problem lay. EDIT: it was. Works perfectly now.

Edited by skipgazer