Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Azi gti tripod

12 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

Perfect thanks for this it’s just want I had in mind 

Bear in mind that it's quite weighty, it was maneuvering mine out of the back door that did for my back recently but then I'm an idiot 😆 .

It's a well known photography axiom that when it comes to tripods you can't have cheap, stable and light in one tripod. This Skywatcher tripod is quite cheap as they go and very stable so light it isn't.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

Bear in mind that it's quite weighty, it was maneuvering mine out of the back door that did for my back recently but then I'm an idiot 😆 .

It's a well known photography axiom that when it comes to tripods you can't have cheap, stable and light in one tripod. This Skywatcher tripod is quite cheap as they go and very stable so light it isn't.

Of course if you are just imaging you can get more stability out of the standard tripod by not extending the legs. 

• Thanks 1

Wondering if I upgrade to the Sky-Watcher AZ-GTiX Dual Saddle Alt-Azimuth Astronomy Mount whether that maybe a better option- just whether it will also convert to EQ like the original version of the mount ??? 

It's weight capacity seems the same on one side so I don't see what you're trying to gain. If it does work in EQ mode you'll also have to think of a novel counterweight solution. What's your qualms with the normal azgti?

I’d definitely opt for the Skywatcher 1.75” Stainless. It was very stable with my EQ5 pro and Starfield 102 burdened with all the astrophotography equipment. Decent price to. You will have to spend considerably more to get the same stability without the weight.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Elp said:

It's weight capacity seems the same on one side so I don't see what you're trying to gain. If it does work in EQ mode you'll also have to think of a novel counterweight solution. What's your qualms with the normal azgti?

I’ll just add my refractor to other side so that not an issue for me- main issue is the solidly lightweight legs in the tripod which imo isn’t upto much in terms of stability overall for such a superb mount 

5 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I’d definitely opt for the Skywatcher 1.75” Stainless. It was very stable with my EQ5 pro and Starfield 102 burdened with all the astrophotography equipment. Decent price to. You will have to spend considerably more to get the same stability without the weight.

Yes I’m now thinking that it may be the way to go possibly

• Like 1

The SW steel tripod is certainly beefy enough, I used one with an eq3-2 and it was solid. Just check the mounting on the top of the tripod as you might need an adaptor. If you can stretch to it, I'd also recommend a Berlebach. The Reports are decent but for astro I think you need a Uni minimum, really is a lifetime piece of equipment.

2 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

I use this tripod with an azgti and a 130pds.  Very nice mount and setup.  More stable imho that az5 and same tripod.

Edited by Ratlet
  • Like 1

Another shout out for the SkyWatcher stainless steel tripod. I also bought a 127 MAK on the AZ-GTi mount with the stock tripod. I think the bundled tripod is a bit rubbish in the context of the MAK because it takes a long time to settle after each focussing attempt. Focussing is inherently a more heavy handed activity on a MAK compared to a refractor or dob. Meaning fine focussing was a drawn out and frustrating experience with the bundled tripod. Albeit the clothes peg on the focussing wheel trick helped somewhat.

I eventually could stand it no longer and bought the Skywatcher stainless steel tripod and what a revelation. It's rock steady. And that's judged against some of my nicer and much pricier photography tripods. But as already stated, make sure you get the correct version i.e. the one with the 3/8th thread on top. LaurenceT's link points to the correct one.

You don't need any adapter, the AZ-GTi sits on top and you push the thread up to screw into the mount's base. This is not apparent/obvious from the photos either.  You only need an adapter for the AZ-GTi if you are repurposing the EQ version of the stainless steel tripod.

• Thanks 1