SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is the Skywatcher Esprit compatible with a full frame camera?

bluesilver

Hi,  just a compatibility question as i am having trouble finding an answer and was hoping someone here may know.

I have the Skywatcher Esprit 150 and also have the 0.77 reducer to suit.

I was looking at purchasing the asi2400mc camera which is a full frame camera.

The description of this scope tells me:

A 2 element field flattener is included to iron out the natural off-axis astigmatism and field curvature of the objective lens, leaving a fully corrected 42mm field of view

The product specifications tells me:

Diameter of corrected field 40mm

The 0.77 reducers tells me it has a image circle of 36mm  but then also says it is compatible with full frame sensors.

I thought a full frame sensor needed 43mm image circle.

So you can kind of hopefully see that i am a bit confused here.

So basically just trying to find out if the asi2400mc pro will work with the Esprit 150 ok?

The arc second per pixel matches up pretty good.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Looking at the specs with the flatener the 150 has a image circle of 44mm , with the reducer it shrinks this down to to 36mm and from the blurb it says up to APS-C sized sensors.. I'm not sure if it be ok without the reducer if a as the asi 2400 has a sensor diagonal of 43.3, I'm sure I read somewhere that it needs 2-3mm under tollerance...

It's hard to find a reducer suitable for full frame sensors in general (and you need to start from a quite large image circle).

If you start with a 44mm image circle, a reducer will reduce also this circle to a smaller size.

Better to shoot at native focal length instead, if you don't own an APS-C sensor. Else, you will have to crop out a big piece of the image I guess.

That said, there's a 3" reducer for large sensors which might do the job:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6085_TS-Optics-REFRACTOR-0-79x-3--ED-Reducer-Corrector-for-big-sensors.html

N.F.

Edited by nfotis

It will do with the native flattner but not the reducer, the larger of the riccardi reducers might do it, but you would have to check. With the large pixel size of the 2400 it might be ok to use with the flattener though?

Adam

Appreciate all the replies and advice.

Yes,  I never really new all that much about matching cameras to scopes with ac seconds per pixel when i decided on the scope.

I am currently using this scope with a asi2600mc and is working well,  just not ideally matched.

But then again i guess the Esprit 150 may no me considered a dedicated astrograph either,  I am kind of just trying to match up the best camera possible to this scope.

Ideally, if there was a APS-C sensor with the same pixel size as the asi2400, then that would be spot on ideal,  but yet to find one.

3 hours ago, bluesilver said:

Appreciate all the replies and advice.

Yes,  I never really new all that much about matching cameras to scopes with ac seconds per pixel when i decided on the scope.

I am currently using this scope with a asi2600mc and is working well,  just not ideally matched.

But then again i guess the Esprit 150 may no me considered a dedicated astrograph either,  I am kind of just trying to match up the best camera possible to this scope.

Ideally, if there was a APS-C sensor with the same pixel size as the asi2400, then that would be spot on ideal,  but yet to find one.

Just software bin the 2600mc after stacking. With the low read noise it is almost as good as CCD binning anyhow. 

Adam

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam J said:

Just software bin the 2600mc after stacking. With the low read noise it is almost as good as CCD binning anyhow. 

Adam

I agree. Being over-sampled is no big deal and you'll get a cleaner image if you downsample to a size which realistically matches your seeing. In doing so you won't lose any real resolution, only the 'empty resolution' of over-sampling.

Olly

9 hours ago, bluesilver said:

If you already have the ASI2400, you can just crop to APS-C size using the "region of interest" (ROI) function and keep the good parts of the photos (and the lower size of the shots is a bonus when trying to store/stack the frames)

N.F.

Just wanted to assure you that the Esprit 150 works fine with my full frame cameras using the flattener (at least for me). But I am quite sure you would get quite dark corners with a reducer. So the inexpensive way for you would be to use the ASI2600 you have with a reducer if you want to catch more of the FOV of your scope. the ASI2600 may actually be a better camera as it is 16 bit rather than 14 bit. Here are the FOVs you will get with the ASI2400 and ASI2600 with 0.77x reducer. So a bit bigger with the ASI2400:

(made it with this free FOV calculator: http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/)

Cheers, Göran

astronomy_tools_fov(1).png

Edited by gorann