SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is it possible to install a SynScan GOTO system on non-motorised Skywatcher 250P Donsonian Telescope?

Hi All,

After doing months or research I decided to buy a second hand Skywatcher Flextube Dobsonian 250P. It came with standard base/mount but without SynScan GOTO system. I was wondering if anyone here knows whether it’s possible to add/install a SynScan Goto system on a non motorised base/mount?

I managed to view Mars and Jupiter with its moons but I noticed how difficult it is to keep track space objects without a motor tracking system.

any hell would be appreciated.

thanks.

4C132976-CADD-480C-9F17-38D2F0E53904.jpeg

The nudging does become second nature after a time, although I well know that there are advantages to some sort of tracking, especially at high magnification and on targets like the planets.

I don’t think you can buy an add on SynScan Goto kit. There are similar kits like this, although I haven’t seen a UK seller. And I have no experience of it…

https://astro-gadget.net/gadgets/control-of-telescopes/dobsondream4

Another alternative is a EQ platform. You can buy one (not cheap) or make one like I did. There’s some good information and instructions here…

It cost me about £80. Was surprisingly simply to make. The only tools that I used were a panel saw, hacksaw and an electric drill. Obviously not GoTo but for visual it tracks really well and now I could not do without it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

The nudging does become second nature after a time, although I well know that there are advantages to some sort of tracking, especially at high magnification and on targets like the planets.

I don’t think you can buy an add on SynScan Goto kit. There are similar kits like this, although I haven’t seen a UK seller. And I have no experience of it…

https://astro-gadget.net/gadgets/control-of-telescopes/dobsondream4

Another alternative is a EQ platform. You can buy one (not cheap) or make one like I did. There’s some good information and instructions here…

It cost me about £80. Was surprisingly simply to make. The only tools that I used were a panel saw, hacksaw and an electric drill. Obviously not GoTo but for visual it tracks really well and now I could not do without it. 

£80 ! that’s fantastic 😫 I am getting one made for me by David Lukehurst for £350. I got the heavy duty one incase I go bigger than my 12”.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

£80 ! that’s fantastic 😫 I am getting one made for me by David Lukehurst for £350. I got the heavy duty one incase I go bigger than my 12”.

I did have a few bits already. And simple stuff like screws, nuts and bolts which helped. 

The David Lakehurst platforms look great and have good reputation. And when you consider time and labour £350 isn’t bad for what you get!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

You need to consider a setting circle and angle gauge.   Its like gps for your scope

I use my smartphone and the PushTo feature in an app called PSAlign Pro. It’s simple to use and gets targets within a low powered eyepiece every time. 

C0635BC1-7257-4C5C-853F-CDBD3457B645.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

I did have a few bits already. And simple stuff like screws, nuts and bolts which helped. 

The David Lakehurst platforms look great and have good reputation. And when you consider time and labour £350 isn’t bad for what you get!

My sentiments exactly!

• Like 1

By the time you've purchased or had parts made to replicate the same gearing ratio as found on the goto bases, including the encoders it would be cheaper to just buy a new mount.   Even if you could get the MC004 or MC003 motorboards they retail for around £130, plus another £150 for a pair of motors, and then around £150 - £180 for the synscan handset.

You have three options:

investigate the equatorial platforms.

Trade the whole outfit for a Skywatcher GoTo equipped version.

Fit a push-to encoder system (e.g. Nexus) but don't expect this to be any cheaper than a GoTo.  

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 1