Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Camera should I get?

So, I’ve just started Astrophotography and at the moment I’m using a Canon IOS 4000d which doesn’t work that well as I can’t use a remote timer with it and it’s quite a beginners camera.

im thinking of getting a Astro modified Canon. Any recommendations of which one I should get? Hoping to find a second hand one 

45 minutes ago, Leti Theobald said:

So, I’ve just started Astrophotography and at the moment I’m using a Canon IOS 4000d which doesn’t work that well as I can’t use a remote timer with it and it’s quite a beginners camera.

im thinking of getting a Astro modified Canon. Any recommendations of which one I should get? Hoping to find a second hand one 

If you want some idea of how much you might need to pay for a modified dslr have a look here:

https://cheapastrophotography.com/

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Leti Theobald said:

Looking at your camera spec, it seems to be a few steps in front of mine and a few years newer, a major difference seems to be yours is only remotely controlled from an app. Does the app not include an intervalometer? Also if you've not found it yet, have a look at backyardeos, great piece of software for a Canon. All the best.

17 minutes ago, M40 said:

Looking at your camera spec, it seems to be a few steps in front of mine and a few years newer, a major difference seems to be yours is only remotely controlled from an app. Does the app not include an intervalometer? Also if you've not found it yet, have a look at backyardeos, great piece of software for a Canon. All the best.

Thanks, I’ll have a look. The controlling via the app isn’t great. It keeps disconnecting and also only goes to 30 seconds from what I can see. I’ll check out the software. Thank you!

15 hours ago, Leti Theobald said:

4000d

Hi

I'd stay exactly where you are.

The 4000d is ideal. It has one of Canon's best sensors and firmware for astrophotography.. It will cost far less to have it modified (around €100, send it here) than to start again with a new camera. The vast majority of features on modern dslrs are useless for astrophotography. 

The Canon app (or any of the eos-connect apps) can be used to control exposure and previews on your 'phone or tablet. Eventually though, you may want to get dedicated astro software to run on a mini-computer or laptop under Linux or Windows. The latter may well be easier even just starting out.

Cheers and HTH

Edited by alacant
  • Thanks 1

Coincidentally,  in sky at night feb23 magazine,  there is a section on dslr camera settings for beginners thats well worth a read. Just to add, the astro modified cameras have the camera internal IR filter removed, not really necessary when starting out as there is plenty to take pictures of with a standard camera. All the best. 

• Thanks 1

On 17/01/2023 at 11:13, alacant said:

Hi

I'd stay exactly where you are.

The 4000d is ideal. It has one of Canon's best sensors and firmware for astrophotography.. It will cost far less to have it modified (around €100, send it here) than to start again with a new camera. The vast majority of features on modern dslrs are useless for astrophotography. 

The Canon app (or any of the eos-connect apps) can be used to control exposure and previews on your 'phone or tablet. Eventually though, you may want to get dedicated astro software to run on a mini-computer or laptop under Linux or Windows. The latter may well be easier even just starting out.

Cheers and HTH

Hi, not sure you will know this, I really want to just keep the 4000d but I've tried everything I cannot do longer than 30 seconds exposures unless i keep pressing the button in bulb mode. The canon app won't allow me to go over 30 seconds either or do more than 10 frames at a time. Am I completely missing something? 

1 hour ago, Leti Theobald said:

Hi, not sure you will know this, I really want to just keep the 4000d but I've tried everything I cannot do longer than 30 seconds exposures unless i keep pressing the button in bulb mode. The canon app won't allow me to go over 30 seconds either or do more than 10 frames at a time. Am I completely missing something? 

All you need is a cheap intervalometer. You should be able to find one on Amazon for £20-30. That will allow you do multiple and longer exposures. 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2023 at 23:04, Leti Theobald said:

Am I completely missing something? 

Yes. The solution has already been given, here.

IOW, you use dedicated astrophotography (after all, that's what you're aiming at) software to control all aspects of the camera via its mini usb port.

We use EKOS under INDI. It runs on Linux and mac devices. Windows users may be able to suggest equivalent software; APT and NINA come to mind.

HTH

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Leti Theobald said:

Looks to me like your exactly right in that you are limited to the 30 second timer or as you say continually pressing the bulb button. Not ideal at all if you want to get into processing. In the short term you could look at solar system stuff which would use multiple short exposures, at least you would then be able to get used to using the software. No idea if you can do eeva with a dslr, not something I have tried, don't see why not, just a different set of software. If you want to get into AP proper, it looks like a camera change. All the best. 

• Thanks 1

If I'm right, looking online through the 4000D User Manual,.

It seems the 4000D has a Bulb mode, but can only be worked by holding down the shutter release.

And it has a USB port, but that only seems to be able to download images to a computer.

And suggests a wireless remote is needed.

The 1000 range has always been the stripped-down budget range, but Canon serm to have gone to extremes with the 4000D.

Michael

Just to clarify...

The 4000d can be controlled by any of the well known astrophotography apps. Any length exposure you like. Any number of exposures you like ... Etc 

Cheers

Edited by alacant

A low cost option is to buy a more mature camera.
When you find out a bit more about what you want to do, and see, that will allow a targetted spend.
When selling on, there should be little or no loss.

As an example I have a Canon 1000D. I have had very pleasing (to me) results from astro photos.
I ended up buying one astro and one daylight to avoid fiddling with settings.
For the amount I can get selling them, I just hang on.
I suppose when they get little use due to buying newer better product I will think again.

HTH, David.