Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Grant

Light Pollution Petition   24/05/16

Please sign the online petition to "Introduce legislation to combat light pollution" and help spread the word! https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/119428
Ferox

Telescope paint job

20 posts in this topic

I recently bought a secondhand Skywatcher Startravel 102 ota with

the idea that it would make a reasonable guide scope.

However the paintwork wasn't really to my taste, I went to Halfords to see what colour I wanted and decided to try a pearlescent paint.

Here are some before pictures.

post-14333-133877364922_thumb.jpg

post-14333-133877364927_thumb.jpg

Not my taste either.

Looks like hammerite?

Yes, green hammerite, and not very well painted.

I love the smell of fresh hammerite in the morning... or was it Napalm ? ... can never quite remeber....

looks like a kid painted it to get back at his dad !

I take it that I would be in a minority if I said that I quite liked the green?

Unfortunately the person I bought it from (in his 50's at a guess) painted it himself,

he said he didn't like the original skywatcher colour. ;)

Ant, It wasn't so much the colour that I objected to but the way it had been painted with big runs all over it.

I love the smell of fresh hammerite in the morning... or was it Napalm ? ... can never quite remeber....

LOL! Might have known you'd have come up with something like that! ;)

Well the hammerite is gone, with a little help from nitromors.

The original paintwork was still intact underneath the hammerite along with the Skywatcher logos! ;)

(in his 50's at a guess) painted it himself,

.... so what are you saying, people in their fifties can't paint and have poor colour taste? ;):D:D Just joshing with ya!

.... so what are you saying, people in their fifties can't paint and have poor colour taste? :rolleyes::D:D Just joshing with ya!

Well now that you mention it..... ;):hello2:

Next stage done, primed and ready to start the painting.

post-14333-133877365209_thumb.jpg

Rubbed the primer down with 1200 grit wet and dry.

Five (I think :) lost count to be honest) thin coats of black pearlescent later.

post-14333-133877365517_thumb.jpg

Looks nice now! :)

Must admit, I sliced the ST102's dew shield into three equal-sized bits for various projects - interchangable solar filter etc. Having experimented with various methods of removing (Nitromors) the original light blue paint, I was impressed how tough the darn stuff was... expecially the lingering "sand" content. I suggest, to anyone, just a light sanding, rather than a complete strip down. ;)

Mian problem now will be dealing with some HOLES that have "mysteriously" appeared in the tube, during the course of several of my other (ahem) experiments. LOL. But I'm going to try one of these putty-like (metal) fillers - also from Halfords, on those... :)

Finished the lacquering and left it for three days before putting it back together and adding a dovetail.

I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out. :)

post-14333-133877366617_thumb.jpg

post-14333-133877366625_thumb.jpg

Much better.

Looks really professional. I think you could start a business doing that.

My attempt at painting telescopes have always ended in tears!

David

Very nice.. when you said pearlescent I was worried.. but as it's basically black I highly approve :) the only colour a scope should be :)

Thanks for the feedback. ;)

Very nice.. when you said pearlescent I was worried.. but as it's basically black I highly approve :) the only colour a scope should be :eek:

The pearlescent effect is a lot more subtle than in the pics, I had to take the photos in full sunshine before you could see it.

I didn't want anything too outlandish, besides I do like black. :)