Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Map of the Mars 2022 apparition.

geoflewis

9 hours ago, paulastro said:

Superb Geoff, a great piece of work.  You should be really proud of what you have achieved.  We'll done indeed !

3 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Awesome Geof! The blending is excellent, well done on capturing such consistent images from the uk!

1 hour ago, Kon said:

It's looking really professional with the annotations now.

Thanks guys, it’s turned out much better than I hoped, or anticipated.

Kostas, thanks for the push to annotate it. I’ve asked Richard McKim at BAA to review them, to check that I have accurately identified the main surface features and regions. I was going to add the 3 main Tharsis volcanoes, but they are not sufficiently well seen, so I decided to stop rather than just guess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Late to the party here @geoflewis, but that’s a cracking piece of work. Really good stuff, must have taken a lot of perseverance as well as skill!

Thanks Stu, yes, I did nothing but image Mars for 2+ months straight, sometimes in quite horrible conditions and even whilst I was suffering with Covid. I was determined to grab every opportunity to get a different aspect, so that completion of the map was possible, as I failed to do that when Mars was much bigger back in 2020. I really envy folks in better climates, where every night is a good night, but as you know, that's not how it works here in the UK.....

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Fabulous detail. Tremendous piece of work 👍

Thanks Michael, I learnt a lot along the way, so I may try to do something similar for Jupiter, during its next apparition later this year. That should (well might) be a bit easier with Jupiter's much faster rotation.

9 hours ago, windjammer said:

Quite marvellous!  Is there a time lapse animation of the globe that you could do to go with it ?  (that probably doesn't have to be annotated... :))

Simon

Thanks Simon, I've created a full rotation GIF annimation in WinJupos, but it shows the join edges more, especially in the polar regions where there was a lot of variability over the 2 months of captures. Anyway, here it is for you and other to make you own decisions as to whether it was worth posting.....

366740732_Mars2022(300px-20fps-black-5min)V3.gif.4efcac68678eb7d964d10bbf9a298cc0.gif

I had to play around with the image size and record settings as for some reason SGL wouldn't load the full rotation of several of my attempts, even though they all played ok on my laptop.

Edited by geoflewis
Replaced GIFF with one without CM and equator lines
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Stu said:

@geoflewis presumably you have to warp the images as if onto a flat surface when producing your map?

Hi Stu, the 'warping' is done by WinJupos. I just load each flat image into the WinJupos measurement tool, adjust the overlay size, align the orientation and any features and it creates the required image measurement files. I then load those into the WinJupos mapping tool, specify what type of map I want, set a few paremeters and WinJupos produces a map for each image. These are then loadeded into Photoshop and combined using a lighten blend mode, with some other tweaks to decide which parts of each image are used where there are overlaps between each image map.

• Thanks 1

On 13/01/2023 at 19:33, Kon said:

Your eureka moment in shifting the origin has really 'cleaned' it nicely from the image I saw earlier this afternoon.

Hi Kostas, I heard back from Richard McKim, Mars section director at the BAA, who was very complimentary about the map, but also stated that it is always best to have longitude zero central to facilitate historical comparisons. So not only a eureka moment for me, but actually how it should be presented....🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Hi Kostas, I heard back from Richard McKim, Mars section director at the BAA, who was very complimentary about the map, but also stated that it is always best to have longitude zero central to facilitate historical comparisons. So not only a eureka moment for me, but actually how it should be presented....🤞

I bet he was complimentary, it's a very detailed map.

Good to know about future maps on how to present them. Thanks for letting me/us know.

• Like 1