Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

No overnight wild camping on part of Dartmoor, doe this affect dark sky access?

tomato

6 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

This is not presenting a particular view more so informed objective facts based on comparisons. Wildmoor conservation is gaining momentum, most recently with the community buyout at Langholm in the Scottish Borders for a former grouse moor that is to be restored.

Not far from myself is on the Northumberland Scottish border is Whitelee Moor and which I enjoy to visit.

https://www.nwt.org.uk/nature-reserves/whitelee-moor

You need to be convincing your representatives then scarp, good luck. 

Jim 

Edited by saac

54 minutes ago, saac said:

do you ever see anything like this on your trails in Canada. 

Ummm, no.

That deal there in the picture is not my cup of tea.

We do have thousand of tourists here in the summer but most all stay at govt approved tourist camps, which are great places. At times I'm a fly in fishing guide for guests at a relatives camp.  We usually have a great time with only our crew on a remote lake- the camps ensure no overlapping that could diminish the experience.

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jetstream said:

Ummm, no.

That deal there in the picture is not my cup of tea.

We do have thousand of tourists here in the summer but most all stay at govt approved tourist camps, which are great places. At times I'm a fly in fishing guide for guests at a relatives camp.  We usually have a great time with only our crew on a remote lake- the camps ensure no overlapping to diminish the experience.

That sounds like the active management we now need - lessons to be learned I think.  Yes it's not my idea of what a day on the hills should be like, too be honest I would find that hellish. Thankfully it is not all pervasive, there are still places of solitude to be found if you know where to look.  

Jim 

• Like 1

Just now, saac said:

That sounds like the active management we now need - lessons to be learned I think.  Yes it's not my idea of what a day on the hills should be like, too be honest I would find that hellish. Thankfully it is not all pervasive, there are still places of solitude to be found if you know where to look.  

Jim 

On a visit I didnt want to be part of a group, but maybe find some rural locals that could help me out off the beaten path. Maybe check out the coastline and go up north. I'm fascinated by the history of Scotland and would include a couple of days in the city to see the buildings- and then off I go- to see what I really want to see and meet some of the old timers . Verbal history also fascinates me.

• Like 2

The tourist route up the Ben is not my cup of tea either and always seek quieter routes or solitude, it is also very uninspiring. It is almost like a pilgrim route and people less experienced do venture up there, Ben Nevis just another iconic attraction for visitors.

Here is the aforementioned moor, a wild camp looking across some time ago. Wildcamping and astronomy a perfect combination. 

P1090713.JPG

Edited by scarp15
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, saac said:

Funny I see a bunch of people that really should be enjoying themselves more!.  We clearly have very different ideas and expectation on hill walking and what the Scottish hills have to offer if you honestly believe that is fun.   As for the photographer waiting  for their moment - sure that must be what happened!.  The path by the way pre dates the weather station,  somewhat - these are ancient paths !!!.  As for the piano story - relevance!   Together with any of the other multiple routes up "the Ben", I have no idea how or why that is relevant. Scarp , we certainly have different expectations on hillwalking on the Scottish hills.  I think that explains the gulf that exists between our views lol. I think we are further apart than when we started - be a boring world would it not if we all agreed.  Enjoy the hills my friend, I'll enjoy them my way :) 

Jim 

In your analysis therefore, should there be enforcements imposed to include other parts of the UK such as on Snowdon, which is perhaps similar to Ben Nevis in terms of footfall. Perhaps to include the Lake District why not Scafell Pike. Isn't what you are suggesting a dangerous precedence towards a slippery slope of enforced restrictions on citizens rights, eradicating all the campaigns particularly during the 1930, such as the Kinder Scout trespass, in which activists were actually imprisoned for trespass, yet thus led to eventually establishing our national parks. 

The Dartmoor court case by one self interest landowner has set this in motion. Our right to roam and rights of access is as I have said before a matter of social justice and it is currently vulnerable to change, to impose more austere and controlling legislation, that may impact all of the UK.  

If this form of restrictive regulation should become enforceable in part of the UK, then it will inevitably be picked up within others and Snowdon will be next. Our freedom to access our hills could unravel, enforcements; restrictive regulations could snowball, its not even improbable to return to the conditions of the 1930's preceding the Kinder Mass Trespass that had been organised by the Manchester ramblers club. There are those whom with influence and wealth that would love for this to happen - give an inch, take a mile. 

Edited by scarp15
typo

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...