SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Regenerating Silica Gel Canister in a QSI Camera

steppenwolf

Well here’s a first for me!

Over the weekend, the sky was remarkably clear so I set up an automated imaging run on NGC 2024 (The Flame Nebula in Orion) and was disappointed to discover that the autofocus system failed to focus correctly. I carried out a manual test and noted that bright stars had a huge doughnut shaped halo around them but a quick glance outside confirmed the CloudWatcher’s assessment that there was no cloud around.

It looked like this was local moisture but a close examination of the optics and field flattener of my Esprit 150 showed absolutely perfect condition and a quick glance at the filter with the camera removed also showed no sign of moisture so it had to be inside the camera.

The QSI 683 is factory supplied purged with Argon gas which normally lasts for 2-3 years and then the installed micro-sieve desiccant in the supplied desiccant canister takes over. However, I have had the camera for 9 years and even though it has been installed in a de-humidified observatory, the atrociously wet conditions and a change in the way I use the dehumidifier (humidistat control rather than always ON because of the cost of energy these days!!), I guess the desiccant became saturated. 

So, instead of spending money on powering the dehumidifier 24/7, I am currently paying to run my oven at 260°C for 5 hours to expel all the captured moisture from the desiccant canister!

Wish me luck – do you think I could bake a cake at the same time to get my money’s worth? 

Unscrew the Bolts on the Canister Cover

Undo_Canister_Cover.png.76f232a9e40bc29ca679994b672affb3.png

Remove the Canister Cover and Brass Canister

Remove_Cover_and_Canister.png.c59d9c8407feec609ca7683aa9fc3c7d.png

Remove the 'O' Ring from the Brass Canister

Remove_O-Ring.png.eaa5c5a48fbbd643c2faa7ebd8aecee7.png

Place the Brass Canister on a brand new Baking Tray with the Opening upwards

Place_Canister_on_Baking_Tray.png.cc9bbcfd1db2020015a8abd4d0eb6367.png

Bake for 5 hours at 260°C

561703525_Place_in_Oven_at_260C.png.85509a0ee6f768fa542c87d6e237ed76.png

Serve with Favourite Meal

Breakfast.png.f8a8f41c8c2602cd3b6f4d0440e1d033.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The micro sieve based variety need to be baked at a high temperature in a drying environment, typically in a closed tin of silica gel., According to manufacturers browning. 5 hours is longer than they recommend. Maybe that's the trade off.