SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Travel Router setup for remote site !

HI , I do hope someone can help with this I have a mini pc (beelink Nuc ) which works very well but when I go somewhere where there is no phone signal or WIFI I need a Hotspot. So I brought a TP link AC750 travel router . Thinking that all I needed to do is produce a hotspot and everything would work. I have tried different setting but I think I'm doing something wrong or that I have brought the wrong router.  I use Teamviewer or VNC viewer to control my setup I don't have windows 11 so I cant use windows remote. 

Thanks for any suggestions

What OS is the beelink running? Remote Desktop needs to be activated on the computer being connected to and not the one connecting.  Win10/11 Pro on the beelink?

If youv'e set the AC750 to be the hotspot are both the beelink and your remote device connecting to it okay?

Note: While a Remote Desktop server (as in, the PC that you are connecting to) needs to be running a Pro edition of Windows, a client machine (the device you are connecting from) can be running any edition of Windows (Pro or Home), or even a different operating system altogether.

Erm... If there's no phone signal or WiFi signal how do you expect the hotspot to work? Does it have a sim card slot for putting a phone SIM card into, are you trying to connect it to another WiFi hotspot for their internet connection? If you're trying to connect to the beelink you don't need a hotspot, you need to setup a remote desktop connection.

Edited by Elp

I have Win11 Pro as my main PC - Remote Desktop is not enabled. The NUC in the garage has Win10 Pro but needs Remote Desktop enabled so I can connect to it. They are both on the same network.

You seem to have Win 10 Home on one machine, which one? 

If the beelink has Win 10 Pro then enable Remote Desktop. On your other PC Use the WIn Key + R and enter 'mstsc.exe' thats the Remote Desktop Connection app to check it ops up.

We'll need to then make sure both computers can then be on the same network and get their ip addresses. I have an AC750 so can try and replicate your setup using my NUC and a spare laptop, the instructions in the box are not as detailed as the setup screens.

I'm not sure Win 10 Home has a free upgrade option to Pro. And the wifi hotspot that Win 11 lets me setup says it's for allowing others to share the internet - not sure that would allow control/data sharing but could be wrong.

AFAIK you need windows 10 pro to use remote desktop features, may be wrong but thats what i understood when building mine.

My mini-pc has the setup you are describing, a travel router that creates a dummy offline wifi networl when the PC powers on and i just remote desktop to that with the android app on my tablet. No actual internet connection required and also the only time i have had it hooked to a monitor was the initial setup.

So looks like your home edition of W10 is the issue. Weird that it was sold like that since the point of most mini-PCs is to work headless.

1 minute ago, ONIKKINEN said:

AFAIK you need windows 10 pro to use remote desktop features, may be wrong but thats what i understood when building mine.

My mini-pc has the setup you are describing, a travel router that creates a dummy offline wifi networl when the PC powers on and i just remote desktop to that with the android app on my tablet. No actual internet connection required and also the only time i have had it hooked to a monitor was the initial setup.

So looks like your home edition of W10 is the issue. Weird that it was sold like that since the point of most mini-PCs is to work headless.

thats what i said 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elp said:

Erm... If there's no phone signal or WiFi signal how do you expect the hotspot to work? Does it have a sim card slot for putting a phone SIM card into, are you trying to connect it to another WiFi hotspot for their internet connection? If you're trying to connect to the beelink you don't need a hotspot, you need to setup a remote desktop connection.

The travel router is the source of the hotspot. You definitely dont need a sim or an actual internet connection with this method.

4 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

You do need Win10 pro but on both PC's. The NUC it probably will be so we are thinking it is the remote PC that is the home edition.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang

5 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

The travel router is the source of the hotspot. You definitely dont need a sim or an actual internet connection with this method.

I admit I am very flakey with network stuff but I thought they just had to be on the same network not necessary connected to the outside world via the internet.
I have used hotspots when in remote areas on holiday that had not internet, well I think I did.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

You do need Win10 pro but on both PC's. The NUC it probably will be so we are thinking it is the remote PC that is the home edition.

Steve

you can botch it but via git but does the user want to go that route if IT ok

• Like 1

Hi StevieDvd and Everybody, 

Well that was difficult but It is done !!! Thank You The update was as picture below just glad I asked here first . So now I have control of the mini

pc which has Windows 10 pro to a laptop which has Windows 10 home without having connection to the web.

Clear Skies to Everyone!!!!!

P.S I Didn't upgrade.

IMG_9449.jpg

• Thanks 1