Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SynScan /SynScan pro app issues

Rob

Hi All, so it seems I’ve joined the realms of those having issues with connecting to my mount now. I have a Eq5 with asterion (eqstar). I use iPhone and can connect to the eqstar Wi-Fi just fine. All was working well, but now it keeps giving me a connection error in the SynScan app?. 

claims “negative response” on trying to connect. Anyone else had this?

all fine in controller manual mode by the way

thanks Rob

16 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

Two things I'd check:

1. Has the iPhone jumped to a better wifi connection

2. Has Syncan still got the connection method set to Network

1. It keeps connection to eqstar in network settings fine. And I flip off mobile network also

2. yep set to network

17 minutes ago, russ said:

My phone kept dropping the WiFi. I was still in range of the home WiFi, so had to forget that network so it would hang onto the Synscan WiFi. Highly annoying. 

That is. I have to say the connection has been really good Russ. I have googled a bit and found other suggesting the same?!. So yes this maybe a update issue of sorts.

just wondered if there’s another app I could try?

26 minutes ago, Rob said:

Yes that looks a litlle like a problem SW had with the wifi connections of other mounts (like the AZ-Gti) where the broadcast wifi name defaulted to the chip settings and not the SW... prefix

Skywatcher have changed Syncan recently. Looks like they now have a development that creates the installers from a single source and cross-compiles for PC/IOS/Android.

I expect that's why the EQStar author is suggesting an older version of the Syncan app. It may be worth contacting him in case SW changes have created problems for 3rd party EQ systems that SW don't want to address.

• Thanks 1

On 10/01/2023 at 03:56, Rob said:

Hi All, so it seems I’ve joined the realms of those having issues with connecting to my mount now. I have a Eq5 with asterion (eqstar). I use iPhone and can connect to the eqstar Wi-Fi just fine. All was working well, but now it keeps giving me a connection error in the SynScan app?. 

claims “negative response” on trying to connect. Anyone else had this?

all fine in controller manual mode by the way

thanks Rob

Right, this problem was caused by an update to the SynScan app that breaks the connection to non-Sky Watcher hardware.  One solution is to use an older version of the SynScan, or SynScan Pro app.  However, that is easier said than done.  Modern networked mobile devices are often required to maintain lockstep compliance with upgrade distribution for software compatibility, security, and other requirements.  This is especially true when devices are part of mobile (cell phone) networks.  Apple's vaunted software reliability and ease of use is partly due to their fierce enforcement of an update until obsolescence cycle that limits software purchases to Apple managed sites. 

So, my solution for this problem was to follow Alexander's advice (AstroGadget support) to install an older version of SynScan Pro.  To accomplish this feat, I set aside my iPhone and iPad and used a refurbished Samsung A7 Lite that is limited to Android 11 and only runs the Android apps for SynScan Pro version 1.19.16 and a shiny new version of SkySafari Pro 7.   You can download 1.19.16 directly from SkyWatcher since older versions are not available on the Google Play Store similar to the Apple App Store policy. 

My tablet has no working cell modem installed and it is only allowed WiFi access when I need to download something.  Even with precautions, this Samsung A7 Lite will complete an automatic upgrade of the SynScan Pro app without asking for permission.  I suggest that you keep a copy of the APK file for version 1.19.16 handy so that you can downgrade your app again if necessary.  

Another solution would be to upgrade the firmware in the EQStar controller box to mesh with the newer SynScan versions.  If Alexander has already done this, then we can fix broken WiFi connections by merely updating the firmware in our EQStar controllers.  

Edited by Celerondon