Jump to content

Sketches

Taking a leaf out of Stu's book


Saganite

Recommended Posts

Stu's thread " Cleaning the Tak "  was inspirational for me, because I too was concerned at the state of the Objectives in my two scopes, but really did not fancy the job.  As it turned out, the Vixen was a doddle because the cell simply screws off the tube and I was able to clean front and back surfaces, albeit, very slowly, methodically , and carefully.  This is the very lens that Dave ( F15 ) rescued and cleaned, and is shown in Stu's thread. It was not as bad as the Tak, but was in a similar condition to the APM lens shown in the first image.  In the couple of years that I have owned it , it has had a fair bit of use so was in need of a bit of TLC, and the result is sparkling superbness !

The big APM lens did present a very different challenge and though I cleaned the front, again, super carefully, I  'chickened out ' when it came to removal.  The dust of course looks far worse than it is, and with the cleaning of the front , the lens is IMHO fine..it will have to be as removal from the tube involves removal of screws and the upsetting of collimation. 

IMG_2756 (1).JPG

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2755 (1).JPG

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a great job, Steve!!:headbang::hello2:

I hate to quote Jeremy, but that Objective on Foxy the Vixen looks entirely, er, lickable!!🤦😂😋

And the APM monster looks great too, I think you can consider both objectives officially clean!👍😎 

Dave

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

I hate to quote Jeremy, but that Objective on Foxy the Vixen looks entirely, er, lickable!!🤦😂😋

!

Probably why it needed a clean 😛

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cleaned the inside of the objective lens on my SW ST120 achromat.  I was a bit of a nerve wracking experience as the telescope is only a few months old.  It was to remove some dew spots that seemed to be growing.  Using Baader Wonder Fluid and a Baader microfibre, I managed to remove the spots, but ended up with smears that were had to get rid of.  After about eight times cleaning it, the smears have mostly vanished.  I didn't touch the glass with my fingers, but just sprayed a little of the fluid onto the cloth and use that.  It did remove a little of the blacking inside the assembly, but this was due to the solvent in the fluid touching the blackening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well done Steve. Always a nervous feeling doing this but well worth it I reckon.

Regarding smears, I’ve found that using a brand new Baader Microfibre cloth is about the only way to avoid smears. Not too much of an investment given the cost of these scopes.

The biggest ‘danger’ is leaving grit on the lens and it then scratching the coatings. Someone asked what method I use, so for what it’s worth I’ll put it here:

I bought a new brush attachment for our Dyson which I keep for just this job. Without touching the objective, I run it round the edge of the cell to pull any grit away. I then use a bulb blower around the same area, and a soft brush afterwards. Depending how things look, I’ll likely repeat the same cycle again, and end up with the vacuum to be as sure as I can that everything is gone.

I then use a new micro fibre cloth, spraying the Wonderfluid onto the cloth and giving it a good soaking. I then apply this to the objective with no movement, just kind of gentle dabbing to moisten the whole surface, aiming to loosen any stubborn dirt. Then it’s just a case of keeping the cloth moist and gently cleaning with minimal pressure and movement. Any movement should not be circular supposedly, but I’m not sure I always manage that.

I find with a new cloth, smearing is minimal, but ultimately a bit of breath at the end can help just remove any streaks.

Not saying that’s anything official or recommended but it’s how I do it, based on various input from others and watching it being done. I guess if in doubt, take it to someone who knows what they are doing!

I’ll be interested to see whether the periodic flaring I was seeing on Mars has gone away now the Tak is clean.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Regarding smears, I’ve found that using a brand new Baader Microfibre cloth is about the only way to avoid smears. Not too much of an investment given the cost of these scopes.

Top tip!

I know you can put them through the wash, but after cleaning them they go on camera lens and binocular duty. Always get a new one for cleaning scopes and I also wear a disposable latex glove to prevent grease from hands getting on the cloth.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Well done Steve. Always a nervous feeling doing this but well worth it I reckon.

Regarding smears, I’ve found that using a brand new Baader Microfibre cloth is about the only way to avoid smears. Not too much of an investment given the cost of these scopes.

The biggest ‘danger’ is leaving grit on the lens and it then scratching the coatings. Someone asked what method I use, so for what it’s worth I’ll put it here:

I bought a new brush attachment for our Dyson which I keep for just this job. Without touching the objective, I run it round the edge of the cell to pull any grit away. I then use a bulb blower around the same area, and a soft brush afterwards. Depending how things look, I’ll likely repeat the same cycle again, and end up with the vacuum to be as sure as I can that everything is gone.

I then use a new micro fibre cloth, spraying the Wonderfluid onto the cloth and giving it a good soaking. I then apply this to the objective with no movement, just kind of gentle dabbing to moisten the whole surface, aiming to loosen any stubborn dirt. Then it’s just a case of keeping the cloth moist and gently cleaning with minimal pressure and movement. Any movement should not be circular supposedly, but I’m not sure I always manage that.

I find with a new cloth, stealing is minimal, but ultimately a bit of breath at the end can help just remove any streaks.

Not saying that’s anything official or recommended but it’s how I do it, based on various input from others and watching it being done. I guess if I’m doubt, take it to someone who knows what they are doing!

I’ll be interested to see whether the periodic flaring I was seeing on Mars has gone away now the Tak is clean.

I did use a brand new Baader cloth, but couldn't figure out why it was leaving smears.  I spoke to @Chrisfrom FLO, but he was at a loss.  My hands were thoroughly clean and I didn't touch the lens.  If I ever have to clean it again, I'll try to get something like those white cotton gloves or latex ones...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, F15Rules said:

hate to quote Jeremy, but that Objective on Foxy the Vixen looks entirely, er, lickable!!

Has anyone tried this method  to clean their objectives? In some countries, if you get grit in your eye, you go to visit your local ‘doctor’ who will probe your eyeball with their tongue until they find the offending particle and then slurp it out. Apparently a very effective method. 😆😆

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Has anyone tried this method  to clean their objectives? In some countries, if you get grit in your eye, you go to visit your local ‘doctor’ who will probe your eyeball with their tongue until they find the offending particle and then slurp it out. Apparently a very effective method. 😆😆

Well, that's Jeremy's next exotic travel plan off to a great start then!:)

Dave

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Well, that's Jeremy's next exotic travel plan off to a great start then!:)

Dave

It’s ok Dave. Boy Scouts membership taught me to be prepared 

EB6D4CE4-9856-4EC3-9DC8-F3819949117A.jpeg.56dee96802986b0c31084bd678c4df11.jpeg

 

Edited by JeremyS
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.