SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

StarnetV2 GUI Help required.

I have been running this app successfully for sometime on my old Lenovo i5 laptop. Sadly the Lenovo keeled over and had to be scrapped. I have managed to reload all my software and folders onto an older Windows 10  Home Dell laptop with a 2 core Pentium Gold Intel(R) CPU 4415U, with the exception of the StarnetV2 app. When I try to activate the exe a notice comes up Application unable to start correctly (0XC 0000142). I'm not sure whether this is something simple like a missing driver or whether the lower spec CPU and video card on the Dell just cannot cope. As I use AffinityPhoto2 I tried downloading Russell Croman's StarXterminator plug in free trial. When I tried to activate it through the filter button using the trial key I got the same error code.

As this app is such a good bit of kit I'm  not sure whether I need to come  up with the money for a new  i5 or better laptop or not.  Any advice in layman's speak would be very much appreciated.

George 'scratching his baldhead' in Lowestoft

Per the StarNet2Gui readme:

Second, the tensorflow.dll was compiled to support AVX instructions
and will only work if your CPU supports these AVX instructions.
Which means that CPUs made before 2011 will not work.

Also says it's memory hungry and won't run on a potato.

4 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

Per the StarNet2Gui readme:

Second, the tensorflow.dll was compiled to support AVX instructions
and will only work if your CPU supports these AVX instructions.
Which means that CPUs made before 2011 will not work.

Also says it's memory hungry and won't run on a potato.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I had read the StarNet2Gui read me. The Intel 4415U CPU was launched in  2017. I have not been able to find out whether it supports AVX instructions and hence my post. I'm not sure whether it's possible for Dell to have incorporated a potato in the laptop but I suspect there may be a lot of chips. 

If I need to buy another laptop to run StarNet V2 would any I5 or above launched after 2011 be ok. Is the graphics card spec an issue?

As you may have realised, I'm not particularly IT savvy and quite ancient and so very much appreciate your help.

George

A google for the error code with StarNet shows a few messages here on SGL and CloudyNights all saying it was an old cpu or one that did not support AVX.

A quick google and I found this page

Of note is the comment:

"Not all CPUs from the listed families support AVX. Generally, CPUs with the commercial denomination “Core i3/i5/i7” support them, whereas “Pentium” and “Celeron” CPUs don’t."

The Intel page for your processor here does not show AVX support either.

Sorry!

39 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

A google for the error code with StarNet shows a few messages here on SGL and CloudyNights all saying it was an old cpu or one that did not support AVX.

A quick google and I found this page

Of note is the comment:

"Not all CPUs from the listed families support AVX. Generally, CPUs with the commercial denomination “Core i3/i5/i7” support them, whereas “Pentium” and “Celeron” CPUs don’t."

The Intel page for your processor here does not show AVX support either.

Sorry!

Thank you so much for this response which I found very helpful. I am now in the market for a i5 replacement laptop.

George

• Like 1