Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2 refractor models pro's & cons.

Came across 2 ED /APO refractors that have peaked my interest for my Celestron AVX mount. To be used for both Astrophotography & planetary, lunar visual.

They differ a bit in their features, ones strength may be another's weakness.

1./ TC Optics 102APO f/7

Uses FPL53 glass and lanthanum coating 

2./ Stellamira ED 110 F/6 (similar to Orion EON 110)

Uses FPL51 glass, a bit faster scope, slightly wider field of view.

TS Optics has the superior glass. May be easier for visual viewing.

Stellamira has 8mm. more aperture may be easier to centre a large target like Andromeda for astro.

Comes with a case.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two for astro & visual? 

Price is fairly similar for either. They both are inline with my budget. 

The TS is likely better corrected at f7 for imaging with that glass combination. I had a smaller version and it was a good scope

I can''t comment on the SM f6 but 110mm at f6 is probably colourful.

• Like 1

The first one is a very popular scope on this forum, also available branded as Altair Astro, Tecnosky and Starfield. I have the Altair Astro version and have been very happy with it, its high power planetary and lunar capabilities have been a revelation. Perhaps lacking in aperture for deep sky, but not sure the 110 would show a huge amount more. The 102ED is now my main observing scope. I have no experience of the 110 and have never done a direct comparison, so I am doubtless biased towards the 102 .🙂

• Like 1

I have owned the Altair badged Starwave 102 ED-R for around three years now. I have owned quite a number of refractors over the years (Tal 100R, Vixen SP, SW ED100 and ED 120. The Starwave is by far the better of them. Wonderful build quality and excellent sharp colour free optics. I have no desire to or interest in replacing this scope in either the short nor long term and expect it will see me out.

• Like 3

I would recommend the 102mm f7 for your stated purpose of astrophotography and lunar planetary visual. 

The 110mm f6 Stellamira can do the same things however will show more false colour.  It is a great telescope however I see it's forte being more towards wide field deep sky visual use.

For a short while I owned both the Starfield 102 f7 and the Stellamira 110 f6.  Eventually I sold the Stellamira as the Starfield suited my use case better. I mostly do only visual lunar and planetary and have other scopes.

See also this previous thread; https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/399680-stallamira-110ed-f6-refractor/#comment-4288505

IMG_1318 - Copy.JPG

• Like 2

I don't do photography, but I have the US / Astronomics version of the 102ED.  Visually, it's a really nice scope - very crisp lunar views for example - and well made, but it's heavy / bulky, about the same weight / size as my ST120 achro.

The 102 does not ride well on my AZ5 or my ScopeTech Zero with my carbon fiber tripod (RT90C) IMO and for that reason, I'm probably going to sell it rather than buy a new / heavier mount.  I also tried it on my medium-duty Explore Scientific tripod (1.75-in steel legs) with the same results.  YMMV.

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonlit Night said:

It works extremely well on the rock solid and extremely economical AZ4 btw

Agreed, it’s a brilliant match, almost like the AZ4 was made for a 4” F7 scope. The sturdiness is really helped by the excellent 1.75” tripod. Regularly use at x180 for viewing planets and it’s solid and nice to push around. And a lot lighter than my Skytee + 2” tripod too. 

Edited by RobertI

On 10/01/2023 at 22:45, Moonlit Night said:

I have owned the Altair badged Starwave 102 ED-R for around three years now. I have owned quite a number of refractors over the years (Tal 100R, Vixen SP, SW ED100 and ED 120. The Starwave is by far the better of them. Wonderful build quality and excellent sharp colour free optics. I have no desire to or interest in replacing this scope in either the short nor long term and expect it will see me out.

Yeah I have one of these for a few years too now, I think mine is numbered number 50 I think. Anyway it's an excellent telescope, wonderful build quality and superb optics. I have yet to hear anyone day a bad word about them.

Well after lots of pondering and almost buying a beautiful used Orion EON 120 until coming to my senses & realizing that my AVX mount would be taxed to handle it for astrophotography I bought  the TS OPTICS PHOTO LINE 102 APO. Thank you for all of your good advice based on user experience i, it was pretty obvious that everyone preferred  the variation that I bought. I am excited plus I got a good deal from Telescope Service on a showroom demo. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glenbo said:

Well after lots of pondering and almost buying a beautiful used Orion EON 120 until coming to my senses & realizing that my AVX mount would be taxed to handle it for astrophotography I bought  the TS OPTICS PHOTO LINE 102 APO. Thank you for all of your good advice based on user experience i, it was pretty obvious that everyone preferred  the variation that I bought. I am excited plus I got a good deal from Telescope Service on a showroom demo. 😀

Good choice, enjoy!