Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42

Just  a quick trial as id forgotten how to process with layer masks to keep the core from blowing out.

Grabbed 15 x 1 min subs couple of nights ago with darks and lights to try it out with the aid of a youtube tutorial.

Dunno if its good or bad to be fair.

I know spacing is wrong on cc too so that needs altered before next decent night.

Clear skies

Stu

M42_15minTrial.jpg

M42_Tutorial.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

For just 15 minutes data that is great. I am sure there is plenty right with it, and plenty that can be improved upon.. but that is name of the game. 
I am sure there are members on here that will be able to give you further direction. Well done.

Marv

Yes ive imaged this alot over the years with better results but always enjoy it when it appears every year

On 08/01/2023 at 16:56, Stu Wilson said:

Grabbed 15 x 1 min subs couple of nights ago with darks and lights to try it out with the aid of a youtube tutorial.

I like the 2nd image better than the first one. And for 15mins worth, thats amazing.

• Like 2

Newbie question:

I've read about layer masks, particularly relating to M42, so I've a rough idea of what they are and why you might use them in this case.

If I've understood correctly you kinda trace round the bright nebula so you can tweak the colours independently of the darker background.

Is it a very manual process to draw the outline in GIMP which I'm using in my case?