Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting started with observation tips

Hi all, 

I'm looking at getting a little telescope as I'd like to start doing some observational astronomy, but I'm not sure where to start and was wondering if I could ask for some advice. I would be very interested in looking at stars and planets, although galaxies and nebulae would be fantastic too! I realise telescopes come in different sizes and have different strengths. I'm looking for something small and portable that I could bring on camping trips, that isn't too expensive. I've had a look online and there is a huge variety. Since this will be my first telescope, I'd like to start small at around £100, and see where I go from there. I'd prefer something simple to use that doesn't take too long to set up but can still be used for some good astronomy. I have good access to fairly good observation spots away from light pollution. If anyone has any suggestions for books or websites to get an amateur astronomy enthusiast started, please do let me know. 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

Hi there, to be perfectly honest for £100 you would be better to buy yourself a decent pair of 10x50 binoculars and a book like “Turn Left at Orion”. The Opticron Oregon 10x50WA are great value and have a favorable write up from our Binocular guru Steve Tonkin. Both these items are available from First Light Optics for under £100. In dark sky areas there’s a multitude of targets to keep you busy and enjoy. This will open the astronomy door for you and you can then decide whether you want to take the hobby further. Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would take your time and read a number of guides in order to get a flavour for what is being recommended and for what. Sorry to sound vague but it’s easy to waste money and there are some dangers in buying blind. I’ve put my thoughts here https://astro.catshill.com/buying-telescope-start-here/

However given your budget and requirement for portability, I would be looking at binoculars and a copy of Turn Left at Orion.

• Like 2

Nobody wants to hear the advice " buy a pair of binoculars", but its probably the best advice, as binoculars really do help you in finding your way among the constellations. They will show you star clusters, some beautiful wide contrasting double stars, variable stars, and from a darkish site many brighter deep sky objects. The craters of the moon, phases of Venus and the moon's of Jupiter are also doable through binoculars. Almost all newcomers to the hobby however desperately want a telescope, but your £100 won't get you a worthwhile scope unfortunately.  It's probably best to get a pair of 10x50 bino's a star atlas, and then save for a while longer until you can afford a scope that's worth having. You'll have a great time with binoculars, they can be thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable to use, and you'll become a better observer because of your time with them.

• Like 1

I’ll second a vote for binoculars if you’re looking to spend ~£100. On my last camping trip I only had room for some binos, and it was great. Fast to just head out the tent and get some wide field views whenever - with my pair (not really Astro ones) I can still pick out the moons of Jupiter and the bulges where the disk of Saturn would show on a larger instrument. Some great views of the Milky Way and clusters too. 

If you pushed the budget a little, this is a pretty small scope that FLO recommends:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/ursa-major-102mm-tabletop-dobsonian-telescope.html

I can’t speak from experience, but I’d imagine it would provide some reasonable views (and you’d avoid having shake from holding binoculars). 

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the site 👌

10 x 50 Binoculars are very useful and as an alternative,  have a look through First Light Optics beginners telescopes. Just above your budget is the Ursa Major 102mm table top telescope which looks quite interesting. A lot of people,  including me, start with a dobsonian telescope as they are relatively simple to use and you can be outside using it very quickly. 

Can I also suggest a star atlas app for your phone or laptop, something like stellarium. A very good way to find your way around the night sky. Then add to your shopping list gloves, hat and a red light head torch, you will need them :D All the best.

If you go with binos, there are at least three good bino observing guides - Moore's, Sironik's, and Harrington's.  Although I mainly observe with a telescope, I like bino books because I live in heavy light pollution and they give more realistic expectations of what I can see from home.

I'd also suggest looking into buying a tripod or monopod no matter the size of any binos you might get.  A lot of people have trouble holding binos steady and a mono- / tripod can make a great deal of difference.

Enjoy!

Edited by jjohnson3803
  • Like 1

If you can afford to spend more than £100 then do it. Binoculars have their uses, but you’d need to get a ‘scope to yield  decent views of the objects you’d like to examine.

Also, consider buying good secondhand. I once purchased a nice six-inch reflector for £100 pounds.