Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 5139

omneferuss

G'day, new here and kinda 'shy' :obut here's my first Glob'. Single frame, 10 sec, ISO 3200 Pentax K100D-super, unguided, RA-drive running, EQ5...

the scope is a salvaged 90mm f/5 achro 'land-scope' objective & cell, cheap 2" R&P f'ser, and PVC downpipe :hello2:

The top and right edges show distortion I believe is likely my poor craftsmanship with unsquare cut of the tube end ;) ...yet to blacken the tube etc, so might fix it yet.

Baader Neodymium filter used for moderately severe light-pollution, outer-urban site.

Target is Omega Centauri NGC 5139

Comments suggestions advice all welcome, thanks :rolleyes: Russ. Forgot to mention: cropped.. that's obvious, but in the interests of full disclosure ;)

post-16326-133877364793_thumb.jpg

Your pic puts many expensive setups to shame ;)

Dont be shy about posting, we are always glad to see images of all standards.

Looking forward to more from you.

Cheers

TJ

Thanks Dave! All due credit to the Glob' tho'.. it is the biggest and brightest there is in our skies, sofar as I know :rolleyes: ..in keeping with my present level of ability, it's an easy one.. like the Moon and Jupiter.. a 'rusk' to 'cut my teeth ' on ;)

That's a hell of a start for a beginner. I get the feeling you are going to make rapid progress at this game. much like a guy in this thread I know.;)

Anyway, congratulations on your first pic.post.

Ron.:rolleyes:

Very good for a first effort, put a bit more work into the focus and you'll be delivering some crackers! Also this Omega looks like it might have a whole lot more stars hidden in your image, just with a bit of stretching maybe.

Whenever someone posts an Omega Cen. on this Northerner-dominated forum, the first question that comes to my mind is "where are you based" but the first word of your post gives a strong clue! :) Looking forward to more Far South delights from our none-too-numerous Southern contingent! :)

Thanks again fellas ..and Pete, yes I haven't mastered focus yet, but I'm hoping my new magnifying angle viewfinder will help.. but also, can you tell me what "stretching" is.. I don't have Photoshop or the like but use Paint.net for resizing contrast etc. thanks. Russ

Thanks again fellas ..and Pete, yes I haven't mastered focus yet, but I'm hoping my new magnifying angle viewfinder will help.. but also, can you tell me what "stretching" is.. I don't have Photoshop or the like but use Paint.net for resizing contrast etc. thanks. Russ

For focussing aids look no further than the numerous tips on this forum! I use the Hartmann mask method but other people go different ways: the choice is yours. (My first attempt at focussing an image came out worse than a bunch of grapes).

I'm no expert on image processing and I'm sure others here can advise you better. If you have, or get for yourself, a processing tool that will show the histogram and allow you to adjust the endpoints, you may see regions to the right and/or left of the intensity range which are not used: you can 'stretch' the rest of the histogram to make use of the full intensity range. Actually I tried that with yours but it merely brought up some noise and burnt-out the core a bit, sorry.

Or with a tool with a 'curves' feature (most of them have) you can do finer adjustments on the transfer curve: this usually involves dragging bits of the curve upwards with your mouse.

It is very easy to spoil an image altogether while processing so save often!

HTH.

Archived