Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars Jan 2nd 2023

Space Cowboy

12 hours ago, Kon said:

Fantastic image Stuart. I think this might be your best Mars image this season.

Cheers Kostas! It would have been even better if the collimation had been on point. Suddenly dawned on me I'd got a crayford focuser on a refractor I'd used for DSO imaging a few years ago. Swapped the self centering antares eyepiece holder (unrealiable centering!) I'd been using on the Dob for the last couple of months with the crayford 1.25" adapter and now I finally have a reliable holder that doesn't show  a different reading every time I insert the laser. Too late now for Mars but will be ready for Jupiter later in the year!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Neil_104 said:

Very nice image 👍 I was observing Mars that evening and saw what appeared to be bright haze/clouds to the north - nice to see it confirmed in your image. Seeing that night was terrible for me!

Thanks Neil. I was surprised seeing was usable this night considering the weather we've been having.

4 hours ago, geoflewis said:

That’s a really excellent Mars, well worth the wait and the extra processing that you put into it.

Cheers Geof. Might have another go at a more polished animation. The data was incredibly consistent on this night.

• Like 1