Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did I see?

MalcolmM

I was out walking this evening, light cloud and a fairly full moon up quite high.

There was a large bright halo round the moon. It was roughly the thickness of the moon, maybe a bit more and it's radius was about twenty degrees (thumb nail to little finger nail of spread hand at arms length).

Anyone know what this is, what causes it and how common it is?

Thanks,

Malcolm 

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

It's called a Moon dog. Light from the Moon is refracted by ice crystals in the atmosphere/clouds causing the halo.

Not sure this is accurate, Peter.

It would be a 22° halo, caused as you describe. But a moondog/moondogs would be one or two bright spots at the side(s) similar to sundogs which often appear along with such a halo. I think moondogs are rarer than sundogs but the 22° halos on the Moon are common enough, given the required atmospheric conditions.

Always willing to be corrected, though. 

Edited by Floater
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Floater said:

It would be a 22° halo, caused as you describe. But a moondog/moondogs would be one or two bright spots at the side(s) similar to sundogs which often appear along with such a halo. I think moondogs are rarer than sundogs but the 22° halos on the Moon are common enough, given the required atmospheric conditions.

Thanks for the replies. This was definitely a full continuous halo. No obvious bright spots.

9 hours ago, Floater said:

I stand corrected, as the man said in his new orthopaedic shoes.

I'll get my coat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

I stand corrected, as the man said in his new orthopaedic shoes.

I'll get my coat.

I'm standing corrected in my new 'toe rocker' shoes but they make me walk like a Thunderbird's puppet!

Malcolm