SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Clear nights in 2022

tomato

14 minutes ago, josefk said:

You have my sympathy - i feel your pain and admire your stoicism! 

It is what it is.  The wife and i have learned to deal with it.  The last couple of nights it has been semi clear, say 25% cloud cover, but you can look up and see there is something off.  The stars just arent bright and i could just barely make out the Orion Nebula, usually i have no problem eyeballing it.  So while it is clearish I don't even bother on nights like that. 

Edited by Mike Q

What is this "clear" you speak of? 😂

Jokes aside I'm not as disciplined and don't keep a log, but 2022 has certainly seemed like a terrible year for observing, lots of cloud and rain and even on the clearer nights seeing has not been great.

Previous years I had a Nexstar 4SE and managed to spot the Cassini division on a few occasions, 2022 with a larger Skymax 127 not seen it clearly once, same with details on Jupiter, vague this past year which is frustrating

28 minutes ago, doublevodka said:

What is this "clear" you speak of? 😂

Jokes aside I'm not as disciplined and don't keep a log, but 2022 has certainly seemed like a terrible year for observing, lots of cloud and rain and even on the clearer nights seeing has not been great.

Previous years I had a Nexstar 4SE and managed to spot the Cassini division on a few occasions, 2022 with a larger Skymax 127 not seen it clearly once, same with details on Jupiter, vague this past year which is frustrating

Dont you hate it when Jupiter doesnt even look good.  That is when you know the sky is just messed up.  

29 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

Dont you hate it when Jupiter doesnt even look good.  That is when you know the sky is just messed up.  

It's definitely been a frustrating year, normally love planet season but this past year has not been great, fingers firmly crossed for a better 2023!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, doublevodka said:

It's definitely been a frustrating year, normally love planet season but this past year has not been great, fingers firmly crossed for a better 2023!

I rwas out one night a couple months ago and nothing looked right.  Nothing was clear, nothing was crisp. Then the air changed.  The stars got brighter so I swung back to Jupiter.... Pefect image.  I had an hour of really good images and then it went to pot again.